• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Subway Franchisees Here?

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is life as a subway franchisee?
eh.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
my best friend's dad opened like 3 or 4 and made some loot on them, and then got rid of them. They're about the cheapest turnkey business you can get into, innit? Jimmy John's is 'cooler' and tastes a lot better, but the sandwiches cost a little more and are smaller (8" I think) and the franchise cost was something ludicrous, like $300K compared to Subway's very low cost.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
my best friend's dad opened like 3 or 4 and made some loot on them, and then got rid of them. They're about the cheapest turnkey business you can get into, innit? Jimmy John's is 'cooler' and tastes a lot better, but the sandwiches cost a little more and are smaller (8" I think) and the franchise cost was something ludicrous, like $300K compared to Subway's very low cost.
What happened?
eh.gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
and the franchise cost was something ludicrous, like $300K compared to Subway's very low cost.

We need a sin tax on brick patterned wallpaper so Subways stop opening.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
What happened?
eh.gif

A divorce and then some mid-life crises, I believe

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I've read Subway is one of the worst franchises one can buy into. The cost to open is relatively small, but the ongoing costs are very high compared with other similar establishments. There are stories out there of people who own a Subway franchise and only get paid the minimum wage they pay themselves as they work 80 hr weeks.

On top of this Subway is supposed to be one of the worst companies from the standpoint of protecting their franchisees from cannibalized sales. In other words, if you open store they have no qualms about letting somebody else open a store across the street from you.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Biggskip
From what I've read Subway is one of the worst franchises one can buy into. The cost to open is relatively small, but the ongoing costs are very high compared with other similar establishments. There are stories out there of people who own a Subway franchise and only get paid the minimum wage they pay themselves as they work 80 hr weeks.

On top of this Subway is supposed to be one of the worst companies from the standpoint of protecting their franchisees from cannibalized sales. In other words, if you open store they have no qualms about letting somebody else open a store across the street from you.

Sounds like the franchisee impolyt knew was able to make his stores successes, but the ones biggskip read about didn't do so well.
eh.gif

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Sounds like the franchisee impolyt knew was able to make his stores successes, but the ones biggskip read about didn't do so well.
eh.gif

I think that it really depends on the circumstances. If you do your research and pick your locations well then maybe you can be the only place within a few miles that is serving sandwiches to hungry college/high school kids you can probably make some good coin. If you have enough coin to begin with to open three stores you probably have a good mind for business in the first place.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

this sounds about right too.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Odd. I know a guy who owns a independent pizza/burger place in a stripmall and his landlord told him he can't even sell subs because the Subway a few doors down has an agreement preventing anyone else in the same complex from selling subs, apparently it's their standard condition.

But of course you're talking about someone opening another Subway across the street which is different - I just find it odd how they would allow one and be so protective of the other.

There's a Tim Horton's by my house for the last 10 years which has always been busy, and another one opened about 100 feet away across the street and they even put up a giant sign outside saying "NO LINEUPS"

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Quizno's is WAY WAY WAY worse to own than a Subway. There are so many stories of that company ******** on their franchisee's.
I heard about this too. It's a shame because Quiznos makes better food than Subway, but they ended up getting technically knocked out by Subway.

MrNiebla

Reaction score
Subway really does let franchises open across the street from another one. In downtown Edmonton there are 4 in a two-block radius and 8 in the downtown core. There are actually 3 Subways in 3 neighboring buildings.

The labor is cheap as most of them seem to hire from local ESL schools. Every sign I see in the back of these restaurants is in both English and one or more Asian languages.

x26

Reaction score

Bingo ...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, there's 2 subways within 4 blocks on queen street in toronto.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads