• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Skinny Guys Wear Straight or Classic Jeans/Chinos/Cords?

datrat

Reaction score
Conventional wisdom says skinny guys should wear slim jeans/chinos/cords. But I find the extra mobility of straight or classic cut jeans helpful on a bicycle or when sitting for long periods of time. I also think the slim look with most brands is a little too slim and statement-making. So even though I wear shirts marketed as slim, I wear pants that are straight or classic.

Any other skinny guys do this?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
while my midsection is more "dad bod" now than ever, I do have very skinny and long legs. My biggest issue is the low rise that comes with skinny/slim pants. I find anything with less than a 10" rise to be uncomfortable and an automatic rejection.

VinceCompost

Reaction score
Humble brag?

Being skinny you can get away with wearing pretty much anything.

Just look at how stylish Japanese dress. Many are slim, but look great in oversized clothes.

NautOfEarth

Reaction score
I'm a skinny guy and recently made a style change from preppy/business casual slim clothing to a more heritage/workwear inspired style including engineer boots. This required me to move to a wider cut of pant and, honestly, I much prefer it.

As you mentioned, its better for mobility but it also allows me to more easily wear base layers in cold weather. I couldn't imagine wearing base layers under some of the slimmer pants I used to wear. Another benefit is that, once I start back working out, I'll have room to spare as far as growth is concerned.

datrat

Reaction score
I'm a skinny guy and recently made a style change from preppy/business casual slim clothing to a more heritage/workwear inspired style including engineer boots. This required me to move to a wider cut of pant and, honestly, I much prefer it.

As you mentioned, its better for mobility but it also allows me to more easily wear base layers in cold weather. I couldn't imagine wearing base layers under some of the slimmer pants I used to wear. Another benefit is that, once I start back working out, I'll have room to spare as far as growth is concerned.

yes thats the other part! I was beginning to think I was nuts because whenever i walked into a jcrew the salespeople would say “you *need* to buy the 484” when I was looking at the 770s. But wear any big hiking boots with those kind of cuts and it starts to look a little strange. Ive also been getting more into technical clothing like baselayers and a looser cut makes a huge difference if you want to wear thermals, esp with denim, which catches on the long johns a bit more!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads