• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any simple tricks to prevent moth infestation to closet full of wools?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
ive tried to search it on the web, but besides the typical vacuum plastic storage after dry clean, moth balls/ cedar chips, and taking out your whole wardrobe to hang in sunlight for an hour every month,

wouldnt just taking your hands and running them in between each woolen coat in your closet every 2 weeks or so (moth infestation cycle is 21 days) would do enough to disturb their set in?

i know it's the wool coats that you dont use often lurking deep in the dark recesses of your closet that gets hit the most by them.

so wouldnt the regular, kind of run your arms in between them, kind of shake them up, rustle the coats that are hanging for about a minute, done every 2 weeks would do enough to prevent any moths and their attacking the coats?

mussel

Reaction score
I found the most effective way is the good old-fashioned moth balls and vacuum bags. I think Glad & Reynolds have vacuum bags designed for freezer and can be adopted for clothing storage but the largest size is only 1-gallon capacity.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
thanks mussel..

i also found this old post from A Harris. gave me some relief:

Originally Posted by A Harris
When I first started selling clothes on ebay, I was REALLY worried about moths. Now after 4.5 yrs, I don't worry much. Here is what I do:

Shake or brush clothes off before you put them in the closet.

Take reasonable precautions such as making sure there are screens on windows, and killing the moths you see flying around.

And most importantly, don't let the clothes sit in one place without moving them for long periods. The ONLY moth damage I have ever had was to a crate of old and worthless clothing I had set in my garage - it sat there for 6-8 moths and when I opened it again the moths had got to it. If you have a seasonal wardrobe, shake it out every once in a while - that will disturb the little critters.

This has worked for me, and in there are LOTS of moths where I live.

where can i get a decent clothes brush for woolens?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

Bump, good question.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kent. Online

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

Kent brush. Search for it on ebay.

Regards.

ml77

Reaction score
I just bought small pieces of cedar to prevent moth infestation. But I don't know how effective this is. At least it's less toxic than the chemical balls.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads