• We would like to welcome Arterton as an official Affiliate Vendor. Arterton, based in the UK, specializes in fine accessories such as garment bags, umbrellas, and shoe care, as well as fine shoes and boots from Yearn Footwear Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any resources on matching colors and fabrics?

Eclipse

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to greet everybody here as a first time poster (but longer time lurker) as I've learned quite a few things browsing this forum thanks to the great community.

After making some research I've been unable to locate a site or forum thread that would give extensive information on how to match certain clothing i.e exquisite plaid,tonal overcheck or windowpane sportcoat patterns with appropriate pants for example.
Also would like to know if people have any guidelines regarding how to match fabrics such as wool blends (with silk or cashmere,mohair) and what to associate with linen or linen/cotton blend for s/s fabrics. (I could find some information on the latter but it's rather sparse).

Any advices are welcome !

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alan fusser's book had some nice instructions about mixing and matching patterns.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Fusser's large book DRESSING THE MAN - MASTERING THE ART OF PERMANENT FASHION indeed has two sets of colour samples, one for shirt fabric and the other for suitings.

However, the image for Oxford Gray Sharkskin shows a fabric that is lighter than even that for Medium-Gray Worsted In Plain Weave. This seems to contradict Manton's assertion that "Oxford is darker than charcoal, and quite close to black" in his post of Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:45 am in the London Lounge Wedding Attire thread.

The result is that I am not sure if my copy of his book is defective, or that Manton is indeed correct, and conversely, there is adescriptive error in the book.

Originally Posted by rssmsvc
Alan fusser's book had some nice instructions about mixing and matching patterns.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also would like to know if people have any guidelines regarding how to match fabrics such as wool blends (with silk or cashmere,mohair) and what to associate with linen or linen/cotton blend for s/s fabrics. (I could find some information on the latter but it's rather sparse).
What do you mean by the now highlighted part? Could you please reword it?

Featured Sponsor

Pocket square on a coat: yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • No

Votes: 33 66.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 8 16.0%