• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Recs for a Minimalist Bed?

emptym

Reaction score
For the past couple of months I've been sleeping on a mattress given to me by friends of friends, gradstudents. They'd gotten it used themselves, and had just bought a new bed. Twice they tried to give away the old one through Craigslist, but no takers. Probably because it has stains in all the right places. I took it, since I'd been sleeping on a camping mat and had conveniently stopped by w/ a moving truck when it was offered to me. Now I think it's time to get a new mattress, and probably a bed. Sleeping on the floor has been great, but I think it's time we got some distance. Still a bit scarred by the recent move and anticipating future moves, I'm looking for something lightweight but durable. I'm leaning toward the Min bed by DWR, currently on sale, but since I know virtually nothing about furniture, I thought I'd see what you guys thought. I'm pretty sold on getting a latex mattress, so I think it'd have to be a platform bed. Any recommendations?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
For the past couple of months I've been sleeping on a mattress given to me by friends of friends, gradstudents. They'd gotten it used themselves, and had just bought a new bed. Twice they tried to give away the old one through Craigslist, but no takers. Probably because it has stains in all the right places. I took it, since I'd been sleeping on a camping mat and had conveniently stopped by w/ a moving truck when it was offered to me.

Now I think it's time to get a new mattress, and probably a bed. Sleeping on the floor has been great, but I think it's time we got some distance.

Still a bit scarred by the recent move and anticipating future moves, I'm looking for something lightweight but durable. I'm leaning toward the Min bed by DWR, currently on sale, but since I know virtually nothing about furniture, I thought I'd see what you guys thought. I'm pretty sold on getting a latex mattress, so I think it'd have to be a platform bed.

Any recommendations?

honestly, I'd go to a discount mattress store and buy the most comfortable matress that you can find. then measure it, go to home depot and and get 2 X 4's and some half inch plywood. put 6 pieces of 2X4 the length of your matress on the floor and then nail 4 pieces of half inch plywood that are each 1/4 the size of your mattress to the 2X4's. this is as sturdy a bed as you could want, your matress is 4.5 inches off the floor and the whole thing costs you about as much as a dust ruffle in a furnature store.

you really don't need anything more expensive that that until you are married.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
honestly, I'd go to a discount mattress store and buy the most comfortable matress that you can find. then measure it, go to home depot and and get 2 X 4's and some half inch plywood. put 6 pieces of 2X4 the length of your matress on the floor and then nail 4 pieces of half inch plywood that are each 1/4 the size of your mattress to the 2X4's. this is as sturdy a bed as you could want, your matress is 4.5 inches off the floor and the whole thing costs you about as much as a dust ruffle in a furnature store.

Can you even ******** on a bed like that?

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Globe's idea seems good. Binge seems worth asking, all he lives with is a mattress and some record shelves.

If you do decide to go all Home Depot on your bed, be sure to make the edges smooth and friendly; I've had missteps that not only ruined moods but injured dudes.

emptym

Reaction score
^Binge has the min bed and is happy w/ it.
Originally Posted by globetrotter

That last point is a good point. The future Mrs. may not love whatever I buy. I really hate buying cheap though. I'd rather buy something that would last. I console myself that if the Mrs does not like the bed, it could become the guest bed.

Your diy rec is good too. This bedis close to that, and just $150. It has metal joints for easy dis-/reassembly.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Emp,

I'm probably being incredibly cheap, but that Min bed link you linked, is that just a frame?

A frame for $700?

You do know that if you just buy a mattress they will give you a metal frame for free?

since you are single, I'd recommend just a good enough mattress with the generic frame. Once you get married, let the Mrs. do the picking.

emptym

Reaction score
^ You, and globe, definitely have a point about the Mrs.

And the min is expensive, but it's a complete bed. The biggest difference between it and a free frame is the set of wooden slats capped w/ rubber.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
This bedis close to that, and just $150. It has metal joints for easy dis-/reassembly.
Perfectly acceptable, paint it black for maximum minimalist.

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
You can tell globe was an old military guy
smile.gif
if you dont like that idea than go to ikea they have some very decent bed frames for cheap. There stuff seems to hold up well and is minimalist most of the time.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Globetrotter on this. I used to be in a similar situation as you (literally, for a long time, all I had was my backpacking and climbing equipment, so I bought a walmart blanket and slept on my sleeping pad so that I wouldn't wear out my expensive sleeping bag).

Then I bought a mattress and box springs, and got a free grey metal frame. It works, it has worked for a while, and it will work for a while more. Eventually, I'm sure my gf will yell at me about this too, but for now, it works.

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm leaning toward going w/ the nomad bed, but I'll probably look around this weekend at some local stores.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmentmerchant
You can tell globe was an old military guy
smile.gif
if .

yeah, anything can be made from scrap wood, duct tape, some wire, a kbar and a folding shovel.

laugh.gif

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
A mattress

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy the most expensive and comfortable mattress you can afford. Macys etc. have sales about every other week for some reason or another (presidents' day; columbus day; ass-sniffing day; etc.). Just get a frame with your mattress and you're done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads