• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any recommendations + price estimate for sports jacket alteration

niuniu

Reaction score
Hi
There is a sports jacket I would like to purchase from Holt Renfrew but its a size or two too big for me.
They have said they can alter it (take in the shoulders about 1 1/2 inches), shorten the sleves and length for $220.

Do they have good tailors there?

Would I be able to get a good job done at a cheaper price elsewhere? (Seems Tony Areltto gets good mentions on here).

TIA

asdf

Reaction score
buy a jacket that fits you. trying to alter the shoulders is almost always a terrible idea. there are lots of jackets at lots of good prices out there...just keep looking.

niuniu

Reaction score
Apologies, I forgot to mention this is located in Vancouver in the title.

Unfortunatly I've looked at dozens and dozens of other jackets but can find none like this one.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niuniu
Hi
There is a sports jacket I would like to purchase from Holt Renfrew but its a size or two too big for me.
They have said they can alter it (take in the shoulders about 1 1/2 inches), shorten the sleves and length for $220.

Do they have good tailors there?

Would I be able to get a good job done at a cheaper price elsewhere? (Seems Tony Areltto gets good mentions on here).

TIA

I would pass. A size or 2 too big? Once they tailor, it's yours. Keep looking.

niuniu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
I would pass. A size or 2 too big? Once they tailor, it's yours. Keep looking.

Hi
What sort of thing can go wrong making the jacket smaller? If the tailor is part of the retail store - if they say its possible but they make a mess of it could I refuse to purchase it?

In situations like this, does the store get the tailoring fees, or the tailor, or a split?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Show us the jacket so we can help you find a similar one elsewhere. I would never consider this sort of alteration. And I wouldn't trust HR.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niuniu
Hi
What sort of thing can go wrong making the jacket smaller? If the tailor is part of the retail store - if they say its possible but they make a mess of it could I refuse to purchase it?

In situations like this, does the store get the tailoring fees, or the tailor, or a split?

I would think that they would not tailor a perfect jacket and have you reject...to then try to sell again to someone your exact size. Once they adjust, unless you have a twin, it will be difficult to sell. And anyone who is interested will see that it was a size or 2 bigger(tags) and may turn it down.
What can go wrong? It could look funny if not done correctly. If the store says that they will adjust for you with no obligation/deposit/etc., go for it. What do you have to lose. If it looks kick a$$ after the adjustments and you really like it, knock yourself out. If you have to pay before, beware!

niuniu

Reaction score
I can't find a picture of it online. Its a Zegna sports jacket with large grey/white tone check pattern.

I've tried several more expensive jackets from the likes of Canali et. but this one seems to look best on me (at least to my eye).

Maybe I could take a picture of it in the store sometime.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will they adjust at no cost and require no deposit?

niuniu

Reaction score
The tailor quoted a price of $220 for the alteration, I presume a deposit is required but haven't enquired the specifics.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I say no.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads