• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any reasonably priced high rise denim for men, athletic cut?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, get the Japan Blue.
I was looking at them, Amicus' advice has me wary of raw jeans in general though.

"I'm sure others are far more knowledgeable than I am, but the rule of thumb I've used is to find the pair that is somewhat too tight around the waist, but comfortable everywhere else. The waist will stretch about 1-1.5" but the rest won't stretch all that much. I typically either stay my normal size or even size down by one. "

I've had enough terrible experiences with jean fits, raw jeans sound like a whole 'nother mess to deal with.

Todd Shelton

Reaction score
It adds up quick unfortunately, Todd Shelton's was the first place I looked. I should add I live in Canada.

$275USD=$387 CAD at the moment.

$150USD=$211CAD
$387 is a lot. I’m looking into if we use Made in USA denim for a jean, could we ship into Canada under NAFTA. Also, I’m looking into an HTS code that will allow us to ship fit-trial jeans into Canada under an “alterations or repair” provision that would bypass taxes for the “fitting” - which might be helpful for guys needing rise adjustments. Unfortunately, none of this is ready to go. @FlyingHorker if you continue to run into dead ends on your jean search, feel free to DM me.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
LL Bean relaxed fit is a very nice fit for jeans, lots of room in the seat and hip and ample rise. Natural fit is very good as well.

pyunghwa

Reaction score
Have you tried the uniqlo tapered regular fit? The size 31 has a 11inch rise. And they’re on sale for $39 CAD. Was happy with the light wash so I ordered it in dark and off white.

I was also happy with the Levi’s athletic fit. But the rise is more mid than high.

hrv123

Reaction score
I have the Japan Blue and they are a great higher rise denim and reasonably priced. My only problem is the degree of taper. Any suggestions for something that fits essentially the same in the top block but with a straight leg or at least less of a taper

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly I can't find anything. For me high-rise denim is 11-11.5 front rise denim. Dark wash.

The only thing I know of is wrangler's cowboy cut and I can't get any detailed measurements from the CS team, and I don't like waste and ordering a bunch of sizes.

I'd also rather not deal with hit/miss sizing with raw denim either.

I'm ok with spending up to $150USD.
You answered your own question. Wranglers MW13 cowboy cut.

It’s as cheap as chips. Unless you are a very unusual build your correct size should not be an issue. Sheplers have them at sensible prices and with multiple reviews. Why waste $150?

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lee austin is also an alternative.

Currently you have 15 models suggested. One of them must fill your requirements for sure.

If not go to luxire and have one made to measure

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$387 is a lot. I’m looking into if we use Made in USA denim for a jean, could we ship into Canada under NAFTA. Also, I’m looking into an HTS code that will allow us to ship fit-trial jeans into Canada under an “alterations or repair” provision that would bypass taxes for the “fitting” - which might be helpful for guys needing rise adjustments. Unfortunately, none of this is ready to go. @FlyingHorker if you continue to run into dead ends on your jean search, feel free to DM me.
That sounds feasible, but I don't know anything about HTS codes and such.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I'll definitely hit you up if I can't find a jean to satisfy me.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LL Bean relaxed fit is a very nice fit for jeans, lots of room in the seat and hip and ample rise. Natural fit is very good as well.
How is the taper from knee-down?

It’s as cheap as chips. Unless you are a very unusual build your correct size should not be an issue. Sheplers have them at sensible prices and with multiple reviews. Why waste $150?
I own a light wash pair, I should add they're a mid-rise and not a high rise for me. That works for casual-wear.

Not so much for wanting a high-rise pair for wear with sports coats.
Have you tried the uniqlo tapered regular fit? The size 31 has a 11inch rise. And they’re on sale for $39 CAD. Was happy with the light wash so I ordered it in dark and off white.

I was also happy with the Levi’s athletic fit. But the rise is more mid than high.
I'll look into LL and Uniqlo if Left Field doesn't work out. I'm looking at their Atlas cut and it looks perfect for my measurements.

Lee austin is also an alternative.

Currently you have 15 models suggested. One of them must fill your requirements for sure.

If not go to luxire and have one made to measure
I will likely look at the rinsed dark wash denim I found at Left Field. All the measurements seem to line up for me as well.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alberto Jeans. Very high quality. I have a pair that are 7 years old and are faded but
otherwise show minimal wear. They have two models which may meet you needs. I have
no experience with them as I wear the slim. It's a German firm, so from Canada it might pay to
go to the corporate website. Also, more variety there.

coldbrew

Reaction score
Have you tried LVC? Some are pretty wide..

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Update, Wrangler's Cowboy Cut indeed works well! It's basically a mid-high rise in an athletic fit.

I also went with Left Field's Atlas cut which also worked. Taper is a bit too abrupt though from knees down.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who hasn't mentioned Billiam yet is just plain wrong. They'll also measure and cut your jeans themselves, so no worrying about sizing.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone who hasn't mentioned Billiam yet is just plain wrong. They'll also measure and cut your jeans themselves, so no worrying about sizing.
Well, the thread is "Reasonably priced", and not "Best denim for men in athletic cut". $350USD for jeans doesn't fall into that in my mind.

Seems like they only do in person appointments as well, located in North Carolina.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads