• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any quality difference between OSB, Truman and Grant Stone?

qazy

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking to a buy decent casual boots and initially I was set on Grant Stone boots (cap toe) but being in Canada complicates things. Josh from GS advised me that they can not "adjust" the price on shipping documents which means that I will be hit by import duties at Canadian Customs (boots made in China). This being the case, the boots price comes close to the prices of Oak Street Boot (without sale) and Truman boots; both are made in USA and are excluded from import duty based on NAFTA. Here is the question, is there any noticeable quality difference between this 3 brands?

And if already set on paying import duties, does it make sense to look at Cheaney on sale or Meermin; are this step up/down/lateral from the aforementioned three?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally opinion here, so take this as just that. Dont let me convince you one way or another, just throwing this out there. Disclaimer posted.

I own lots of AEs, a decent amount of GS and a couple Aldens. I've looked at some from OSB & Meermin. Zero experience with Truman.

Two main things I wanted to hit on - the brands in general, then the categories.

1. I've always thought the AE HM was a pretty solid choice as a casual boot. With the sales constantly going on it makes it more of an easy no brainer type of deal. I was never so hot on OSB mainly because I think they're using the completely MiUSA to justify a very high price. Take price out of the equation entirely I might go with whichever fit better. OSB you might run into less QC issues but honestly who knows.

GS is definitely better built than either of them, but it brings up an interesting point. If GS was way more expensive than it is, what would i do. In that case, as happy as i am with GS (and i think they are are great product from a great company), I'd go with Alden or Viberg.

I honestly dont understand Meermin at all. They do these MTOs where they sometimes offer exotic colored shells on really sleek makeups and in a "grab-bag" sense if they have something you really like it can work out. Otherwise - the regular lines are mostly not too great; the better stuff gets up there in price. Sizing, trying stuff on is an issue. QC, non-existent CS, too many cons outweigh the positives.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2. Meermin & Cheney are more "dress" brands compared to what you started with. Are you looking for a dressy boot or a workboot, or which direction are you leaning towards?

Dress boot I'd start with maybe Carmina.

Hybrid, casual workboot look I'd look at Viberg and Alden, then GS, then AE & OSB.

More "workboot" I'd look at Whites.

If you're stuck adding onto the price for canada I wouldn't bother with something like Meermin, Parkhurst, Thursdays. Not worth it.

Isn't Viberg available in Canada?

qazy

Reaction score
Thank you both for the the reply. I am looking for a casual boot that I can wear with jeans, khakis and chinos and that wont look out of place in the office environment. The most dressier I am considering is Carlos Santos Jumper boots, otherwise GS toe cap is pretty much the style I am after.

Viberg is a nice option - and yes, it is a Canadian brand. I am/was thinking about Viber service boot in CXL - but @ $900-1000 it is a hard choice.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had the AE Higgens Mill, they were pretty good but didn’t fit my feet well.

Upgraded to Alden CXL Indy boots and couldn’t be happier, not sure what your budget is, but I’d highly recommend them and they should come in well under $900-1000 Vibergs

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads