Any pointers on spoting fake Canali's on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VooDooATL, Sep 27, 2006.

1. VooDooATL

VooDooATL Active Member

Some prices look a little too low on E-Bay, can anyone give me some pointers on what to look for?

Thanks in advance

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Some prices look a little too low on E-Bay, can anyone give me some pointers on what to look for?

Thanks in advance

Post links/pics.

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's highly unlikely there are any fake Canali's out there. Low prices are not really a good cause for suspicion. But post pics if you want to be 100% sure.

4. VooDooATL

VooDooATL Active Member

5. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Nothing fake about that. It's a used suit from the 80s (early 90s at best) for $150. Why would anyone in their right mind fake such a thing? It's worth $20 - $30 tops.

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

I don't believe Canali's are well-known enough to be worthwhile to fake.

7. VooDooATL

VooDooATL Active Member

Well I wasn't going to buy that specific one, it was a quick example.

Thanks for the feedback. Is it wrong that less people know about them.

8. Vudoo

Vudoo New Member

Nothing fake about that. It's a used suit from the 80s (early 90s at best) for $150. Why would anyone in their right mind fake such a thing? It's worth $20 - $30 tops.

This begs the questions of determing value of ebay goods. How does one determine the correct price for item spotted on ebay. I am sure that one can say a trained eye will know, but many people, myself included, are not built that way. Is there a guide book out there somewhere?

Alex

9. EL72

EL72 Senior member

This begs the questions of determing value of ebay goods. How does one determine the correct price for item spotted on ebay. I am sure that one can say a trained eye will know, but many people, myself included, are not built that way. Is there a guide book out there somewhere?

Alex

Value is a subjective concept determined by how much someone is willing to forego (in monetary or other resources) to acquire a good or service. Looking at historical prices of prior auctions is one way to approximate value on eBay but ultimately, it's how much something is worth to you. That particular suit is worth $0 to me but perhaps someone out there really likes it and is willing to pay $150 for it, though I doubt it. People have different wants, needs, resources... so value varies considerably. Some people will pay almost full retail for something (NWT) on eBay because they want it. I never pay more than 20-25% of retail for a NWT item unless I really need/want it.