1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any other Edmontonians here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FidelCashflow, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Tequila Jay

Tequila Jay Member

Another guy here in Edmonton!

2. polystyrene-man

polystyrene-man Member

No idea, I was referred to them by Valbergs, and Holland tailors. Both said HK tailors is one of the few that do invisible mending.

3. Kliftwy

Kliftwy Member

Hello Edmontonians! Any life left in this thread? I'm in Edmonton for the next while and was wondering if i could get any recommendations on where/how i could buy a good suit? I'm quite short so I'd want made-to-measure since off the rack suits don't fit well, and for price I'm thinking ~$1200 or less.

I did some searching and read through most of this thread and it doesn't seem Edmonton has much to offer, so I wouldn't mind buying from a company located elsewhere and/or waiting for a high turnover time but I wouldn't want to have to self-measure since I don't know anything about clothes. I know harry rosen for instance does made-to-measure but I think I read that the quality wasn't worth the price. I'm just hoping to get a properly fitting, good quality (eg not fused from what I read in styleforum 101) and classically styled suit for decent value.

Also if any of you want to organize another edmonton SF meeting I might be up for it, but be warned I'm not really at all a stylish person haha.

4. Tequila Jay

Tequila Jay Member

Kliftwy - Check out Eddies men's wear on Calgary Trail near 52 ave. They have a decent selection around the $1000 mark, and they do a great job when it comes to measuring and fitting suits.

5. Kliftwy

Kliftwy Member

Thanks Tequila Jay, I'll check them out sometime! Can anyone else comment on Eddies or make any other recommendations? Also, at the guys at Eddies really that good/experienced? One thing that I saw on their website that makes me more hesitant is they recommend black or navy for a first suit, but I always thought black was a poor choice eg. compared to charcoal because it is too formal and less versatile, esp. for a work setting.

6. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

The guys over at Eddie's have somewhat eccentric tastes - I'd get a Samuelsohn MTM suit from them, but I wouldn't let them influence my design/fabric decisions to much. I have a RTW Samuelsohn suit and they are fantastic quality (full canvas.) You won't find anything better in Edmonton for that price. Harry Rosen also does Samuelsohn MTM.

Another option which you should seriously consider is going to John the Tailor in the Edmonton City Centre and looking at a bespoke suit if you can up your budget by a few hundred bucks. I commissioned a bespoke suit from him a few years back for $1,400. The suits are actually made by a small outfit called G. Tonino in Montreal who only do bespoke - John will take the measurements, pass them on to G. Tonino, John will then receive the half-complete jacket for an additional fitting, and make any final adjustments when the finished product arrives. I was thoroughly impressed by the finished product. Before I took the plunge, I had an AAAC member from Montreal check out G. Tonino and see if their operations were up to snuff - see the thread below.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...eal-Tailor-G.-Tonino-Anyone-familiar-with-him

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  7. omair

omair New Member

Just a bump on this thread - has anyone heard of The Helm Clothing? Apparently it's a store that opened up downtown that carries brands like LBM, RLX, Magnanni, etc - I stumbled upon their website recently.

8. Tequila Jay

Tequila Jay Member

I've been to Helm a few times. They are having a sale on all their winter selection right now.

9. primetimeseano

primetimeseano Senior member

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

I'd like to bring this thread back up... our get togethers seem to have died out, but maybe we can get something started again.

Out of all the cities in Canada, we've been the most active and maybe even numerous... let's bring that back!

I propose a dinner some time. I know we were trying to get a informal dinner club started before, but that failed to materialize...

11. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I wish I was still in Edmonton as I'd happily help in the revival of our old crew.

Any snow this morning gents?

12. Unregistered

Oddly it has warmed up to ~16°...

Miss you man. Those were fun times we had at our get togethers!

Hope things are going well for you over there

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  13. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Was there a Forvmite on Global Edmonton being interviewed by Mike Sobel this morning? Real bowtie, great tweed jacket, and yellow trou... Not the attire of your average Edmontonian.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  14. Unregistered

Bump.

The recent warm weather brought some life back to Deadmonton. Surely this thread can have a revival?

15. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

I'm always up to grab dinner with my fellow Edmontonian forumites.

16. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I'd be interested in a meetup as well...

I think winter is making a comeback though.

17. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I miss Edmonton a lot. It's good to hear from you guys again!

18. Unregistered

Maybe-it's-finally-spring bump.

19. Unregistered

May I propose a dinner April 24 (Thursday) evening?

Location and time to be decided, depending on availability.

We've had successful dinners before at Niche and Wildflower. Other good places may be Vivo, XIX, or Corso (doubt we can get a larger group though).

Anyone?

20. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Dawww, I feel so foreign and out-of-touch with my old stomping grounds - I've never heard of Vivo or XIX. I'll admit they both sound pretentious but even if the food were as terrible as the names it would still likely be better than almost everything one province to the "right".