• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any other Edmontonians here?

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
lol I have a buddy who gets his hair cut there. I go to a place called Salon on 6th. The owner, Sandy, competes at the world championships of hair cutting or some **** like that.

does he constantly try to convince you to let him do edgy asymmetrical haircuts with hot pink highlights and unnecessarily longer pieces that fall strategically into your eyes?

actually, what i really wanna know is: does he cut girl hair as well?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
does he constantly try to convince you to let him do edgy asymmetrical haircuts with hot pink highlights and unnecessarily longer pieces that fall strategically into your eyes? actually, what i really wanna know is: does he cut girl hair as well?
Haha Sandy is a girl. And no, she cuts my hair pretty conservatively. However, my sister volunteered herself for a competition and came out looking like this: ..

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cry.gif

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
I got a pair of APC New Standards- I thought it was time to get away from Repros for a while, or at least have something else in my wardrobe. I think I am going to return them (and get stuck with store credit). They have slightly too narrow of leg opening to wear with even my slimmer boots (Brandos).

Any ideas on what I can get locally? It is just too much of a crap-shoot, I think, to get jeans online- though I have gotten lucky a few times.

Try APC Rescues (I can't recall if they have them at GPTG these days) sized down 1 more than your NS were sized down. I have NS (-2) and Rescues (-3) and they are honestly likely my favorite two pair. I have KMW, FlatHead, 5EP, Crate, etc. but overall the APCs still get worn more.

Speaking of which, I might have to stop by GPTG tomorrow.

Oh, and for what it is worth, as a relatively new guy to the city, I just recently chose a "hair cutting place" (for lack of a more appropriate term). I elected to give The Men's Room a try over on the west end. I liked the idea of a place that was for guys only. Based on one visit it is hard to rate them, but for the sake of this discussion I'd give my first experience a 6/10 rating. I'll likely stick it out for a bit longer and then consider shopping around.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never really thought about Rescues. I should have seen if they had them and tried them too. The Men's Room is Okaaaay, I think. The lady that owns it (or seemed to) is who cut my hair. She uses "form cutting"- apparently a style taught by American Crew. I found a lack of creativity. I always like to let the stylist do what they think will look good, and will be fun for me to wear, but I also need something that can look reasonably conservative at times. Most look at me like I have 2 heads when I ask for this. And then I end up with the cut every other guy that comes in there with medium length hair gets. Last time I went to a place I brought this pic: http://luxus.mashkulture.net/magyar/...d_campaign.jpg I said I wanted the exact cut if it would work with my hair. I left with what I had- no shaved sides or anything. I have tried numerous places, after my last stylist seems to have disappeared of the face of the earth. I still have not settled on one, that I like, that is not 50 bucks.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riraito
So.. where do you gentlemen have your hair cut/styled? I'm in the market for a good place, as it were.

Haven't been successful with the last couple of places I've checked out.

Tidory's, right across the street from commerce place, next door to Swedish Jewellers. He's the only true barber I've found in Edmonton. He doesn't charge ridiculous prices for a haircut, he only does men's hair, he pays attention to detail, and he's handy with a straight-razor.

nonissue

Reaction score
In my opinion, highgrade has a better selection of denim than gravity pope. Might want to consider a pair of Acnes or maybe Nudies...

And yes, gravity pope carries some pricey stuff but it consistently has better prices than other retailers that sell the same brands.

I've had experience with all three types of denim, and APC is definitely superior to nudie and acne in terms of quality. The stretching/fits aren't for some people though.

/jealous calgarian who marvels at the edmonton tailored good store.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the latest guys? (...and gal?)

I have Monday off this week; give me something to do.

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
What's the latest guys? (...and gal?)

I have Monday off this week; give me something to do.

now that this is basically unanswerable, i'm tempted to say something like "you should probably spend it shovelling," but then i'd feel like a die-hard edmontonian and hate myself a little.

mondays here do tend to be pretty quiet. the only "special" thing i can think of is that monday means half price homemade pasta at chianti's (along with 1.99 chocolate mousse and caesar salad), but that's only really awesome if you're a student.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...found myself some $5 (for 3) mini-burgers at Hudson's near campus. It was good enough to make my day. I also met John (I presume) the Tailor - seemed like a nice guy. He definitely seemed like he cared about my clothes unlike those ladies at Page Cleaners that ruined my suit jacket.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
mondays here do tend to be pretty quiet. the only "special" thing i can think of is that monday means half price homemade pasta at chianti's (along with 1.99 chocolate mousse and caesar salad), but that's only really awesome if you're a student.

I don't know how "homemade" anything there is. I once went at lunchtime in second year university with a friend. We got there ordered when the place was pretty much deserted just after it opened. They took my order, went into the kitchen and 3 minutes later I heard a micro-wave "ding!" and out came my bread rolls which were still frozen inside. I asked the waiter if they made their own bread and he said "fresh out of the oven daily!'
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Notreknip
I also met John (I presume) the Tailor - seemed like a nice guy. He definitely seemed like he cared about my clothes unlike those ladies at Page Cleaners that ruined my suit jacket.

If it was an old white-haired guy with glasses and an italian accent, it's him. I've never understood doing alterations at a drycleaner.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been to the new art gallery? I've been wanting to go but haven't made it down yet...

tomgirl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FidelCashflow;3074784 said:
I don't know how "homemade" anything there is. I once went at lunchtime in second year university with a friend. We got there ordered when the place was pretty much deserted just after it opened. They took my order, went into the kitchen and 3 minutes later I heard a micro-wave "ding!" and out came my bread rolls which were still frozen inside. I asked the waiter if they made their own bread and he said "fresh out of the oven daily!'
laugh.gif
QUOTE]

well, i only ever get one pasta dish there and the noodles are big fat spinach fetuccini noodles that definitely don't come from a catelli box. regardless of whether they're popping a michelina's in the microwave or some old italian lady who lives in strathcona is cranking out her family's secret recipes...at half price, i won't complain!

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of this- will have to check it out.

Speaking of Edmonton, part of that winterfest thing was supposed to be some dude jumping the river. Never heard any more of it. Will have to look that up.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been to the new art gallery? I've been wanting to go but haven't made it down yet...
I have not been, but friend went and said worth it. Details on the sliders for 5 bucks at Hudsons?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads