1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any other Edmontonians here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FidelCashflow, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Heh, my family has had season tickets for about 25 years now - since I was born. I, like you, am a "real" fan. I haven't seen the Riders at Commonwealth (yet), but I don't think it would compare to seeing them at McMahon.

Anyway, keep in touch and at the least we'll hit the links or something in September - that is, if the meet-up doesn't get forgotten.

2. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Heh, my family has had season tickets for about 25 years now - since I was born. I, like you, am a "real" fan. I haven't seen the Riders at Commonwealth (yet), but I don't think it would compare to seeing them at McMahon.

Anyway, keep in touch and at the least we'll hit the links or something in September - that is, if the meet-up doesn't get forgotten.

Eh .. I'm hoping to find a group of ex-pats to watch the games with. Going to UofA for grad school, so will spend the vast majority of my free time studying .. but fully intend to take 4 hrs a week off to watch the games.

I haven't been to commonwealth in 7-8 years. Last time I was there I was with my family, I was 17 and some drunk fuck took a swing at me on my way out of the stadium. He was then shit kicked by the group of Rams (don't think they were the U of R Rams yet) football players I was at the game with with his girlfriend screaming "Someone call security they're going to kill him". Pretty sure he lived, but was pretty scary for a minute.

I just got back from Montreal (shitty loss, but that is a cool city), and was at the Grey Cup 2007. So, that leaves Hamilton/BC as the only places I haven't been.

3. someotherstyle

someotherstyle Senior member

I am based in Edmonton as well. Worked in tailoring in Edmonton for 5 years, so if anyone has any questions about tailors etc. or wants an opinion just PM me.

MK

4. someotherstyle

Oh, and as for an Edmonton Meet Up, I'll start setting one up. Everyone send me a PM who is interested please.

5. someotherstyle

Sent a few PMs to start the ball rolling.

6. springer23

springer23 Active Member

Just checking in as a fellow Edmontonian. I'd be up for a local SF meet/greet also and you can't go wrong with drinks at the Sugarbowl or Redstar. Just to add to the local recommendations for a tailor I second the mention of Paris Tailors downtown. Forrest used to be a go to guy there but he'll be retiring soon. You can talk to him on Tuesdays and Saturdays at the shop but the girl doing most of the work is Cathy. I was hesitant at first but her work on my blazers and pants has been top notch quality as of late. MK I'm curious on your opinion of their work as well!

7. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  8. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Edmonton here. Weather has left me a bit glum today, summer is obviously on it's way out. Every winter I plan to leave here, never do. My impression of SF Edmonton is that I've probably seen many of you at Suede before. Might be wrong, just my suspicion.
    I've only been there once. I'll have to give it another go, but to be honest, to me it was almost uncomfortable just in terms of the clientele - let's just say, from the perspective of the classic SF "style vs. fashion" dichotomy, Suede seemed to lean to the latter in every way. As for the uptown/Oliver area, I much prefer a night at Famoso. That said, I think I'll go back to Suede this week now that (in particular, my area of) this city is breathing once again. While on the topic, anybody given the new downtown Overtime (old Ivory) a shot yet? How about the place to open in the old Prohibition? Thoughts? Ms Notreknip and I were quite disappointed with 4th and Vine the other night, and my expectations weren't even particularly high. It's a shame I'm so busy on campus (e.g. my lunch hours are only perhaps 15 minutes long on average), I'd much rather eat with random internet friends/strangers than resort to grabbing "Hub"way every day and chowing down alone. PS - Found myself a steal today at Haven. They have the usual 50% off rack with some gems, not as much good sale stuff as Tailored Goods, but far more than I found this past weekend at Henry. Oh, and Holt is only getting worse in this city, while Calgary's is on it's way up. Is it worth going way over to Harry for any end-of-season bargains? High Grade?

9. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  10. springer23

springer23 Active Member

I've only been there once. I'll have to give it another go, but to be honest, to me it was almost uncomfortable just in terms of the clientele - let's just say, from the perspective of the classic SF "style vs. fashion" dichotomy, Suede seemed to lean to the latter in every way. As for the uptown/Oliver area, I much prefer a night at Famoso.

While on the topic, anybody given the new downtown Overtime (old Ivory) a shot yet? How about the place to open in the old Prohibition? Thoughts? Ms Notreknip and I were quite disappointed with 4th and Vine the other night, and my expectations weren't even particularly high.

Suede clientele do leave you with a bit of an uncomfortable feeling but positioning yourself at the bar with friends so you can turn your back to all the douche's can be tolerable.

Haven't been to the new downtown Overtime yet but I've been meaning to burn through some gift certificates I snagged from my boxing gym. The old Prohibition spot hasn't reopened yet as The Black Sheep Pub but that "opening soon" sign has been there for a couple of months i believe. Hope they bring back the bocce ball lanes [​IMG]

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with 4th and vine, what happened?! I do have to say that since management changed last year or so the place has slightly deteriorated, Tony used to be a great manager! It's a pretty laid back place and definitely an older crowd frequents it, I recommend you and Ms Notreknip check it out for Sunday night movie nights, the popcorn they make is kickass.

A better wine bar to check out is Bibo on 99th st next to Culina, good charcuterie. Downtown wine bar I'd recommend is Lit on 104th or Moriarty's on Rice Howard Way.

11. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Cool.

Bibo is definitely on out list. We quite enjoyed Culina on our first visit and if we hadn't already had a bottle, we would've stopped by next door.

4th and Vine's experience wasn't necessarily bad (not bad enough to dwell on), but since you asked, here are a few of the things that got me:

- big, loud stagette in the back table, doing the typical hick-town-Canada stagette things
    - unconventionally big, wide, marked-up-from-the-dishwasher, wine glasses
    - our waitress would often sit down (for a few minutes at a time) with the couple at the table next to us
    - the wine we chose was poor (IMO), but not "bad" in the sense that we could send it back (besides, no tasting was offered - I'm not sure what the proper term is for that, but you know what I mean)
    - both of us enjoyed our appetizers; Ms Notreknip didn't particularly like her fish, but she loved the side; my main dish was okay, but overpriced perhaps
    - overall, I just found it a bit casual for a wine/tapas bar

I'm sure we'll be back there eventually to give it another go.

What's up with this vodka bar down the street from 100? (i.e. on Jasper) Is it new? Did I just miss it before? (Edit: I just noticed it this was brought up just above.)

12. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Famoso is one of my favourite places to grab pizza. The new one they opened up on St. Albert Trail and 137th is still going through the teething process, they haven't figured out a system quite yet.

13. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

Worst service ever at the Famoso in South Common, fyi. I hate Edmonton.

14. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I recall reading you were up and leaving for...Toronto was it? Is that for real?

You're still in your studies? No?

15. springer23

springer23 Active Member

Service at any bar/restaurant in Edmonton has generally gone down the shitter for years now esp. since the local boom.

Honestly, the most consistent service I've had has been at Dadeo's, they're always fast and friendly, they don't forget shit and usually seem pretty happy to be there. Same can't be said for even higher end places like Hardware Grill where service is inconsistent even at lunch time when it's not really busy.

16. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

Cool.

- the wine we chose was poor (IMO), but not "bad" in the sense that we could send it back (besides, no tasting was offered - I'm not sure what the proper term is for that, but you know what I mean)

I do not think this is meant to be a tasting but to see if the wine is corked.

17. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I do not think this is meant to be a tasting but to see if the wine is corked.

Yeah. You shouldn't even need to taste it. A sniff should do.

18. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

Yeah. You shouldn't even need to taste it. A sniff should do.
    Wtf, Kyle, why are you in our threak!?...This is Edmonton, not Chicago. We don't "sniff" wine to find out how good it is, we fucking drink it.
    I recall reading you were up and leaving for...Toronto was it? Is that for real? You're still in your studies? No?
    Yea I'm actually moving there this Thursday (the 2nd). [​IMG] I graduated almost a year ago, so this move is a little overdue.

19. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

What are you planning to do there?

20. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Well .. I'm officially an Edmontonian (feel kinda dirty saying that). Moved into my super awesome bachelor suite just off Whyte Ave. on Sunday. Already seen a few crackheads, and have bum's tearing through my trash daily. It's pretty epic.

PS: Spent a day at West Ed .. forget the name of the store, but it's way off in a corner (seemed to be the only place selling anything worthwhile) .. but they were selling Naked & Famous Green Selvedge jeans for $58+tax.