1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any other Edmontonians here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FidelCashflow, Jan 4, 2009.

1. blackstapler

blackstapler Member

Just discovered this thread. More Edmontonians than I thought there would be.

2. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Does anyone know of a tailor that can do functional buttons on sleeves? I got a jacket that has basted sleeves, but someone needs to cut and sew the buttons holes. It seems this is a bit of a special skill that usually requires a specific machine that not every tailor has. Any suggestions?

3. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Every tailor can do working buttonholes by machine, it's not complicated. However, if you are going to do it, have him adjust the sleeve length BEFORE cutting the buttonholes. Once you've had a second fitting, allow him to proceed.

Also, I advise all you Edmontonians to move out of that awful city. Surely you can do better.

4. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

I am not sure the above is true. Well maybe any tailor can, but not anybody that holds themselves out to be, or an "alterationist". I got a complete hack job done on two coats just trying to get the sleeves shortened at 2 different tailor shops. It is like the folded them and tacked or something. I can not even explain it. Still need to get that fixed.

And, as an aside, I have tried to get another jacket's sleeves to the correct length (or at least not at my knuckes) over 2 tries at Rosens. I think they are scared to go short enough as most men will shit with correct lenght sleeves even if they asked for them.

5. unjung

unjung Senior member

I was in Edmonton today. The downtown was riddled with verminous adolescents. A guy wearing an unimpressive suit nodded at me, I think because we were the only people on the street not wearing baggy sweats and hoodies with guns on them and he felt some sort of kinship. I did notice a "custom men's clothier" in the bottom of the building I was in, but I didn't stop to chat, although I did think maybe it was a shop that would be of interest to some of you. I think the building address was 10020 101A ave.

6. FidelCashflow

Every tailor can do working buttonholes by machine, it's not complicated.
    Well yes and no. Every tailor that has the specific machine for it can do it by machine. I've been told by several tailors its not done with a standard sewing machine. The problem is there are very, very few tailors (if any) who have that machine in Edmonton. It's only really useful if you make suits and jackets on site (i.e. you have a workshop for bespoke/MTM suits) and would be of very limited use in day to day operations of a typical tailor's shop if they don't make stuff from scratch. In any event, I talked to John the Tailor and he will do it by hand.
    And, as an aside, I have tried to get another jacket's sleeves to the correct length (or at least not at my knuckes) over 2 tries at Rosens. I think they are scared to go short enough as most men will shit with correct lenght sleeves even if they asked for them.
    That sucks. They can shorten it, but the rule of thumb with salespeople is they'd always rather leave it to long than make it too short to prevent a customer saying they ruined a garment. Show them a pic of what fit you want, and tell them in no uncertain terms you are 100% sure you know what you want.

7. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

^^^This is what I did the second time, less the pic. Still no dice. It is tough, because it puts me in the situation of feeling like a dick to go back a third time. But it is not like I keep changing my mind or am talking small amounts here. The suit as it stands does not show any cuff even with my shirts that have to long of sleeves.

8. FidelCashflow

^^^This is what I did the second time, less the pic. Still no dice. It is tough, because it puts me in the situation of feeling like a dick to go back a third time. But it is not like I keep changing my mind or am talking small amounts here. The suit as it stands does not show any cuff even with my shirts that have to long of sleeves.

That stinks. I can understand why you don't want to go back again. Maybe you should just take it to another tailor and pay a few bucks for it to be done right.

9. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

So how about these torrential downpours. I feel like I'm living in Vancouver. [​IMG]

Anyone down for a sugarbowl meet up?

10. 1up

1up Senior member

From Calgary...went to U of A and graduated this past April...then moved back to Calgary (woohoo!).

However as luck would have it, I ended up getting a job back in Edmonton...so I'm heading back in a few weeks [​IMG]

11. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

So how about these torrential downpours. I feel like I'm living in Vancouver. [​IMG]

Anyone down for a sugarbowl meet up?

Speaking of torrential - a little girl in our clinic yesterday was terrified because she had heard it was raining tarantulas. I'm not really a "awww that's cute" kind of guy, but this girl's face was so serious at the moment, it was priceless.

I'm up for a Sugarbowl meet anytime. Summer is obviously more hit-and-miss in terms of timing for me, but the idea is definitely a good one in my eyes.

12. tomgirl

tomgirl Senior member

Speaking of torrential - a little girl in our clinic yesterday was terrified because she had heard it was raining tarantulas. I'm not really a "awww that's cute" kind of guy, but this girl's face was so serious at the moment, it was priceless.

ha, that actually is really cute. after reading this i ended up talking about "torrential downpours" with a co-worker and had to bite my tongue from making a tarantula comment. i somehow don't think it'd be as cute.

i'd be up for a meet-up as well, though only if me being a girl wouldn't a) be intrusive, or b) be annoying. i'd understand either way.

13. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I'm up for a Sugarbowl meet anytime. Summer is obviously more hit-and-miss in terms of timing for me, but the idea is definitely a good one in my eyes.

Okay cool. I'm out of town pretty much all of July but maybe something in August could work out.

i'd be up for a meet-up as well, though only if me being a girl wouldn't a) be intrusive, or b) be annoying. i'd understand either way.

You're definitely welcome!

14. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Moving to Edmonton in a few weeks.

Anything I should do quickly while I still feel like a tourist? ie: Thing's tourist like but locals think are lame.

Also, missed the talk on a meet-up .. did that ever happen?

15. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

An early-to-mid September meet-up (or very late August) would make the most sense. The weather should be good enough for a few outdoor drinks and the odds of everyone being back in town would be maximized.

Assuming we'll have at least one lady there I'm going to suggest that the significant others come along as well. I'm sure mine will resist, but it'd be good for her to meet some new folk too, so I'll apply the pressure.

16. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Hey guys, I'm from Edmonton too and finally found this thread.

It's nice to see other Style Forum members from around here!

I'd totally be down for a meet-up sometime; I think that'd be rad.

17. unjung

unjung Senior member

I am in Edmonton enough that I might be able to make a weekday meet-up. Maybe some place like 100?

18. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

I am in Edmonton enough that I might be able to make a weekday meet-up. Maybe some place like 100?

I don't become an Edmontonian until the end of August .. but after that I'd be up for anything.

Any football fans in Edmonton? I know the Eskimo's suck and all, but Riders @ Esks on August 28th should be a riot.

19. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I don't become an Edmontonian until the end of August .. but after that I'd be up for anything.

Any football fans in Edmonton? I know the Eskimo's suck and all, but Riders @ Esks on August 28th should be a riot.

I'll be there - wearing my (light/kelly) green!

(You're coming from Regina I assume for school? I'm here from Saskatoon for "school" for another 2 years.)

20. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

I'll be there - wearing my (light/kelly) green!

(You're coming from Regina I assume for school? I'm here from Saskatoon for "school" for another 2 years.)

Yes .. will be going to UofA, making the drive up this weekend to find a place. Will be hard giving up my season tickets for half a season or more .. but oh well. I've contemplated making the drive a couple times, hopefully for one of the Stamps @ Riders games, and definitely for a home-playoff game if (when) we have one.