• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any one know who makes these Peal & Co shoes?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Is there any way to tell which ones would be made by C & J?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason you care that it's made by CJ? That the only way to distinguish is by the nail pattern (CJ single, AS double) should reinforce the fact that the shoes are indistinguishable quality-wise.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Is there any reason you care that it's made by CJ? That the only way to distinguish is by the nail pattern (CJ single, AS double) should reinforce the fact that the shoes are indistinguishable quality-wise.

They do fit differently. The lasts used are different. I think that is a very important reason to know what company the shoes were made by.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Whe you say nail pattern you are talking about the arangment of the nails on the sole of the shoe?

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I believe those are Alfred Sargent. In my experience, the $488 ones are AS, and the $528 are C&J. The quality is similar. I have two Peals by AS and one by C&J. The C&J last one fits me more comfortably, otherwise they are both very nice. Quality seems slightly under handgrade, but nicer than I would expect from the benchgrade C&J.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
They do fit differently. The lasts used are different. I think that is a very important reason to know what company the shoes were made by.

I had never noticed any difference in fit between my AS and CJ Peals, but I could see this being an issue for some. I thought all the CJ Peals were just on the 240 last?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
I live in San Francisco and I want to buy a few new pairs of shoes...I do not want to spend more than $600 a pair. I am relativley new to the area what are my best options in terms of quality?

I know I can get Peal & Co from BB, Alden from the Alden Shop downtown, C&J Benchgrade shoes from Barneys, Grenson and A. Testoni from Saks. Any other places and brands I should consider looking into in my area?

marin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
I live in San Francisco and I want to buy a few new pairs of shoes...I do not want to spend more than $600 a pair. I am relativley new to the area what are my best options in terms of quality? I know I can get Peal & Co from BB, Alden from the Alden Shop downtown, C&J Benchgrade shoes from Barneys, Grenson and A. Testoni from Saks. Any other places and brands I should consider looking into in my area?
You might want to include NM (Ferragamo and Zegna FAM) and Wilkes Bashford (Gravati, Bontoni, other more difficult to find brands)

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
The first pair (brown perforated captoe) is by C&J on 240 last. I own one myself. Not sure about the 2nd pair.

How do you know they are C & J?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads