• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any one have experience with Apoint or Beckett Simonon?

EddieK

Reaction score
I recently discovered these two new brands and they seem just too good to be true.
Cheaper retail price than even Meermin shoes but they both offer goodyear welt, boxcalf leather, leather insoles, corkbed midsoles, leather outsole. etc. All details of a proper GYW shoe.

Has anyone had any experience with these companies? If so how does the quality compare to the likes of other popular brands? Like AE for example.

ducatiti

Reaction score
I have tried both Meermin and BS, returned all pairs as I was not satisfied with the build quality and quality of leather.

Although, AE has their own quality control issue, leather is more supple despite some imperfections. Will not crease as fast as the BS which seems to be lower quality full grain leather in my opinion. The BS pairs I received yesterday have scratches that looks like a box cutter hit it, and dimples on the leather. Not sure if it's a botch of dye or leather imperfections. I didn't want to try to take it off but rather ship them back today.

In regards to the Meermin, more defects to include stiffness of the overall shoe which will take more time to break in. And yes, I'm talking about the Linea Maestro line. Leather is not as supple in my honest opinion.

I have just gotten into the Oxford scene and surprised how much hate Ferragamo is getting here. I purchased a couple of Tramezza's and Originale lines and they are heaps better than the above mentioned and even AE. Although the Originale line is Blake Rapid Stitched, the overall quality to include the leather is top notch. Tramezza brings it to a whole other level. And no, I did not pull retail but rather got lucky at the outlet. Got the Tramezza Full Wingtip for $500, while the Originale at $450. Stitching, fudging, shape, attention to detail, you name it, well worth the money spent.

I guess the best bang for the buck would be Carmina especially when you can acquire them at a sale price. I have three waiting for deliver, 2 cordovans and 1 calf :)

At first, I was really disappointed with AE but one thing for sure, they have great customer service of which you can actually speak with. I would stay away from Meermin and BS, but BS has a better customer service. With Meermin, you would have to pay for shipping back the merchandise for any reason.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've handled any of their shoes, but I remember being impressed with Beckett Simonon when they loaned me a sample. The shoes were given to me on loan, so I can't say how they feel or look when broken in. But the quality was seemingly nice.

It's been said elsewhere, but Meermin takes a while to break in. That's true of other brands as well, such as Saint Crispin's and a couple of Austro-Hungarian makers. I think Meermin gets more gruff about it because they're often seen as an entry-level shoe, so people are more critical and trying to see faults.

It's also been a while since I've handled AE shoes. I've heard people complain that the shoes aren't as great as they were under the previous owners (they were sold to a new company last year). The build quality is definitely nice and you don't get the long break-in of Meermin. I remember them being a step above Beckett Simonon. But so many of AE's designs just look off to me. I think Meermin generally has a better batting percentage when it comes to design. For something like AE's Park Avenues, you can't go wrong. But once you go outside of that, I think you have to be a bit more discerning. Their walnut colored leather, I think, is very hard to wear.

EddieK

Reaction score
I have tried both Meermin and BS, returned all pairs as I was not satisfied with the build quality and quality of leather.

Although, AE has their own quality control issue, leather is more supple despite some imperfections. Will not crease as fast as the BS which seems to be lower quality full grain leather in my opinion. The BS pairs I received yesterday have scratches that looks like a box cutter hit it, and dimples on the leather. Not sure if it's a botch of dye or leather imperfections. I didn't want to try to take it off but rather ship them back today.

In regards to the Meermin, more defects to include stiffness of the overall shoe which will take more time to break in. And yes, I'm talking about the Linea Maestro line. Leather is not as supple in my honest opinion.

I have just gotten into the Oxford scene and surprised how much hate Ferragamo is getting here. I purchased a couple of Tramezza's and Originale lines and they are heaps better than the above mentioned and even AE. Although the Originale line is Blake Rapid Stitched, the overall quality to include the leather is top notch. Tramezza brings it to a whole other level. And no, I did not pull retail but rather got lucky at the outlet. Got the Tramezza Full Wingtip for $500, while the Originale at $450. Stitching, fudging, shape, attention to detail, you name it, well worth the money spent.

I guess the best bang for the buck would be Carmina especially when you can acquire them at a sale price. I have three waiting for deliver, 2 cordovans and 1 calf :)

At first, I was really disappointed with AE but one thing for sure, they have great customer service of which you can actually speak with. I would stay away from Meermin and BS, but BS has a better customer service. With Meermin, you would have to pay for shipping back the merchandise for any reason.

Thanks for replying.
So it seems to me like Meermin and BS are more of entry level GYW hoes. But of course considering how cheap they are compared to some other brands it's a decent offer.

EddieK

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've handled any of their shoes, but I remember being impressed with Beckett Simonon when they loaned me a sample. The shoes were given to me on loan, so I can't say how they feel or look when broken in. But the quality was seemingly nice.

It's been said elsewhere, but Meermin takes a while to break in. That's true of other brands as well, such as Saint Crispin's and a couple of Austro-Hungarian makers. I think Meermin gets more gruff about it because they're often seen as an entry-level shoe, so people are more critical and trying to see faults.

It's also been a while since I've handled AE shoes. I've heard people complain that the shoes aren't as great as they were under the previous owners (they were sold to a new company last year). The build quality is definitely nice and you don't get the long break-in of Meermin. I remember them being a step above Beckett Simonon. But so many of AE's designs just look off to me. I think Meermin generally has a better batting percentage when it comes to design. For something like AE's Park Avenues, you can't go wrong. But once you go outside of that, I think you have to be a bit more discerning. Their walnut colored leather, I think, is very hard to wear.

Thanks for replying. I don't mind the break ins if the price is right. Good to know that BS is at least a decent entry level GYW shoe.
---
To anyone else who's reading, has anyone tried Apoint brand?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their trainers look good. Of course pictures vs. handling are very different. Anyone handled the trainers?

yshin10

Reaction score
I thought Beckett Simonon was blake stitched not GYW?

Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads