• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a bottle of Mortlach 25 YO Gordon & MacPhail as well as an 18 YO independent bottling of Highland Park. I tend to drink more scotch in cool weather and more bourbon in warm weather. The Mortlach dodges the overwood bullet which is pleasing. I have not opened the HP but had an Old Particular bottling of HP 20 from last year that was excellent.

I haven’t had the 25yo, but Mortlach 18 is in my top three. Admittedly, I haven’t tried all that many whiskies.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a distillers edition but haven't tried it. From what I hear its the lowest of the Yamazakis. The 12 is always nice and from what I hear, all Yamazaki going forward will have no age statements.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a distillers edition but haven't tried it. From what I hear its the lowest of the Yamazakis. The 12 is always nice and from what I hear, all Yamazaki going forward will have no age statements.

i've had the 12 and its good, my fave is the hibiki 12 but that **** is no where in site now. Sounds like between the distillers and the 12, the 12 is the better option.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$200 for yamazaki 12? seriously this is getting out of hand. i used to buy 18 easily for around that price and hibiki 17 for $85. prices are getting stupid. there are much better values in scotch these days.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$200 for yamazaki 12? seriously this is getting out of hand. i used to buy 18 easily for around that price and hibiki 17 for $85. prices are getting stupid. there are much better values in scotch these days.
Its true that prices are ridiculous. Not unlike the Pappy craze. But I'd also say that Yamazaki and Hibiki are such high quality drams that they were absolute steals for years. Once discovered, there was no way the supply would keep up with demand. I mean 10 years ago, Yamazaki 12 could be had for around $40 a bottle. You can barely get JW Black for that these days.

As for better value, its becoming harder to source quality for cheap these days because of supply. I'm currently enjoying the new Aberlour Casq Annamh these days. Not the sherry bomb of Abundh, but quite fruity and enjoyable for around $60. And the trend continues of no age statements. :(

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$200 is a ridiculous for Yamazaki 12. It is a good solid whisky but really nothing that special. I have a bottle sitting in my collection that I paid $90 for like 2 years ago, even that was perhaps a value stretch. Lots of great (age statement and 46%+ abv!) scotch out there for that price.

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys,

Back in day, this was approximately 10 years ago now, Yamazaki was $40 and hibiki12 $65ish.

Then there was a huge whiskey resurgence and the japanese labels started selling very well. The problem that happened was that Japanese whiskey producers (suntory and etc) cut back on whiskey production back in 80s i believe because people were trending towards sake/soju. This didn't have effects at the time but now that you need a blend of 12 years and scotch aged 12 years, you simply don't have it. Thus, they released the harmony and plan to release a similar yamazaki with no year.

The scarcity drove up the price of the yamazaki 12 and hibiki 12. Last year i had 3-4 yamazaki 12s for approx $100 but now they are all gone and if you go online and search the price is consistently 180-200.

Is it worth $180-200, well idk but i cant get it for any cheaper.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i always preferred hibiki to yamazaki. I had 3 12s at a point within the past 1-2 years then they just dried up. I still have a 1/4 of a hibiki 12 and an unopened hibiki 17. The 17 is worth crazy cash now, i'd actually sell the damn thing if i knew how to and not get busted by ATF.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i always preferred hibiki to yamazaki. I had 3 12s at a point within the past 1-2 years then they just dried up. I still have a 1/4 of a hibiki 12 and an unopened hibiki 17. The 17 is worth crazy cash now, i'd actually sell the damn thing if i knew how to and not get busted by ATF.
Overseas auction. Hibiki 17 looks like its worth about $600 minus any fees. Still have some ground to cover to catch my bottle of Yamazaki Sherry Cask. :cool:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to this tonight.
52D23585-E34D-4173-AA6C-59A283F8EC91.jpeg

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This bottle has been going waaay too fast. Can’t remember what I paid but it was definitely sub $200.

DE7730F3-25D4-4D1D-BCE3-6C312D7337B4.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics