• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Article 26

Reaction score
4DC326D9-2E41-403E-A56A-C7BD9CE35C65.jpeg

Finishing the bottle.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up a Glenfarclas 17 yo over the weekend. I'd finished my bottle of 21 yo earlier this year, and having had the younger Glenfarclas, the 17 yo fits in the middle of those I've tried so looking forward to it. Anybody who has had this, let me know what you think.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glenfarclas is great throughout the range. My favorite was the old 15 year which has been discontinued (in the US at least). I have had the 25 but not the 21. How does the 17 compare to the 21?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Glenfarclas is great throughout the range. My favorite was the old 15 year which has been discontinued (in the US at least). I have had the 25 but not the 21. How does the 17 compare to the 21?

Haven't popped it open yet, but when I do, will report back.

Sad to see that Glendronach no longer seems to be releasing its Revival, which was easily in my top 3 Holiday season single malts..

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best $50-ish bottle available in the US? Doesn’t matter if blended. Had some stuff from Compass Box a few years ago that was good. I’m more of a bourbon and rye guy, but will have some discerning scotch drinkers over during the holidays and would like something decent on hand. Thanks.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't imaging you'd find much complaints showing up with Laphroaig 10. I also REALLY like Talisker's entry level offering, though that is usually more often found at about $60.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some good cheap scotch selections can be had at Costco or Total Wine as well. Total Wine can point you in the right direction with their staff. Costco you need more knowledge on what to look for. Just about any store will not judge you by asking for a decent selection under $50. Trust me, I probably get more looks by buying an $80 or $90 bottle than the people looking for cheap stuff get.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glengoyne 12 and Edrador 10 are around $50 and are great if you can find them.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best $50-ish bottle available in the US? Doesn’t matter if blended. Had some stuff from Compass Box a few years ago that was good. I’m more of a bourbon and rye guy, but will have some discerning scotch drinkers over during the holidays and would like something decent on hand. Thanks.

If it were me, I'd probably choose something that would appeal to the most number of drinkers, and an iodine bomb like Laphroaig probably will only appeal to folks who love iodine bombs. Around here, you can buy Macallan 12 year old or even Glennfiddich 15 year old bourbon cask for that price. That's what I'd go with. A little under $50 will get you Shackleton, which I initially thought was a little gimmicky but turned out to be a damn fine whiskey for the price (around $35)

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s always Johnnie Walker. Just don’t get the Red Label. The rest of the labels are decent enough to most non scotch drinkers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics