• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a time about 12 years ago when the Old Pulteney 21 was considered the best Scotch in the world, and was also basically a unicorn. A friend of mine worked in sales for a liquor distributor here and was able to pull some very important strings to get me a bottle. I was not disappointed...
You’re a most fortunate man.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re a most fortunate man.

I'm not much of a drinker these days, but one of the guys I make clothes for loves cigars and scotch. Its always nice to go visit him for a fitting or to deliver an order. Come to think of it, he also orders fun stuff. I should try and find a couple more customers like him!

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0FE740D0-8973-48B8-8447-352639BF7F6B.jpeg

KarlHungus

Reaction score
15 is quite a bit different than the 12. Lot's more sherry influence on the 15. So, yes, if you like the Redbreast profile, then 15 is worth a go.

FWIW the 12 yr cask strength is one of my all time favorites and this 15 ranks up there as well.

Cant believe you can just walk into any shop and find these drams because they are so fantastic.
Gotta say, it's never struck me as a no brainer to pony up near $100 bucks for a cask strength 12 year old dram. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given prices across the board these days and maybe I need to delve more into Irish Whiskey ??

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Of course, when I can buy bottles like this at liquor control state pricing, the $100 price range becomes much more competitive :smarmy:
Screenshot_20211201-183022.jpg

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotta say, it's never struck me as a no brainer to pony up near $100 bucks for a cask strength 12 year old dram. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given prices across the board these days and maybe I need to delve more into Irish Whiskey ??

Shop around and you can find RB 12 Cask Strength for $79. Which is significantly cheaper than its bourbon counterpart with similar specs. I was able to procure EC 12 yr one time and only one time for $59 awhile back and felt like I won the lottery. lol

I personally feel RB in both the regular and cask strength variety is better than Yamazaki 12 and cheaper to boot!

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Shop around and you can find RB 12 Cask Strength for $79. Which is significantly cheaper than its bourbon counterpart with similar specs. I was able to procure EC 12 yr one time and only one time for $59 awhile back and felt like I won the lottery. lol

I personally feel RB in both the regular and cask strength variety is better than Yamazaki 12 and cheaper to boot!
Yeah $79 would be insta-kop. Have a few bottles of Yamazaki 12 waiting for me as well. Another sweet regulated pricing buy!

KarlHungus

Reaction score

And I have to agree bourbon may be the worst value in spirits today (with the exception of Japanese....duh). Too many hype monkeys out there buying into the commotion and willing to pay any price. Gimme Old Forester 1920 at reasonable pricing and I have a hard time justifying anything else more expensive.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I have to agree bourbon may be the worst value in spirits today (with the exception of Japanese....duh). Too many hype monkeys out there buying into the commotion and willing to pay any price. Gimme Old Forester 1920 at reasonable pricing and I have a hard time justifying anything else more expensive.

I have to agree with this, it's why I've pivoted away to single malt for now, where there are much better values to be had. I will still pull the trigger on some store picks from time to time, but the top shelf bourbons have been over-priced and/or impossible to find for close to 10 years now

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When is this bottle from? Looks like at least two iterations ago as the latest is 14yr with green label and the one before that was 12yr with black label. Honestly I think I prefer the 12yr black bottle of the two. But I am a sucker for port finished scotch no matter how you cut it.
2011, it is deliciouso!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics