• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Needless to say I'll report back after the event.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Not much of a difference between 52 and 60 IMO except one guy is closer to filing for Medicare.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlike some people in this thread, I actually purchased this bottle. ? ? Very good.
FC806765-3787-4D39-A4F0-95811DC40222.jpeg

Look at the color on it. Deep ruby red.
86A603D0-97A3-49F6-A29D-C143FD25D461.jpeg
I had heard that the 2010s werent as good as the 2008s but I’m not finding that. They’re different, but not necessarily worse.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both are great. The 17 is one of my favorites and this is my first time trying the 25. The 25 is smoother and mellower, and the 17 has a bit more of that Glenfarclas spice to it. Probably will just stick with the 17 from here on out, as I don't think there's much of a difference/improvement going up to the 25. At least the 25 was only ~$50 more.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both are great. The 17 is one of my favorites and this is my first time trying the 25. The 25 is smoother and mellower, and the 17 has a bit more of that Glenfarclas spice to it. Probably will just stick with the 17 from here on out, as I don't think there's much of a difference/improvement going up to the 25. At least the 25 was only ~$50 more.
Thanks- I’ve always debated the 17/21/25 since they’re relatively close in price

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
As I mentioned over in the Cookery thread no pics were taken last night. I also have the answer to the mystery that the Scotch is "maybe" older than me. He bought a "compendium" of Balvenie put together by their Master of Malt who's been with the company 50-some years, David Stewart. Some quick research indicates a highly limited number of them out there and about 80k! I did not ask him how much he paid and he only would tell me his local whisky guy connected him with a NYC importer to land this.

The premier bottle is a 56 and we cracked it. Stupendous. I'll probably never taste another aged Scotch of this caliber. Citrus is the theme with baking spices and honey adding embellishments. A dram each and that was it. Best thing is the ABV was 42% so a few sips neat then a few sips with a couple of drops of filtered water. OMG, the citrus when opened with the water.

Also comes in this very cool carrying case. I figure the distillery knew this was something the owner would want to share and be able to travel with. The bottles are in a wood presentation display and then the whole thing fits inside the custom made carrying case. The case's lid has a book about the whiskies in a drawer and the book is signed by Stewart. He is as happy as a pig in **** over this and is considering it the whisky purchase of his life...and I can't blame him. ******* impressive set and well done presentation wise.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned over in the Cookery thread no pics were taken last night. I also have the answer to the mystery that the Scotch is "maybe" older than me. He bought a "compendium" of Balvenie put together by their Master of Malt who's been with the company 50-some years, David Stewart. Some quick research indicates a highly limited number of them out there and about 80k! I did not ask him how much he paid and he only would tell me his local whisky guy connected him with a NYC importer to land this.

The premier bottle is a 56 and we cracked it. Stupendous. I'll probably never taste another aged Scotch of this caliber. Citrus is the theme with baking spices and honey adding embellishments. A dram each and that was it. Best thing is the ABV was 42% so a few sips neat then a few sips with a couple of drops of filtered water. OMG, the citrus when opened with the water.

Also comes in this very cool carrying case. I figure the distillery knew this was something the owner would want to share and be able to travel with. The bottles are in a wood presentation display and then the whole thing fits inside the custom made carrying case. The case's lid has a book about the whiskies in a drawer and the book is signed by Stewart. He is as happy as a pig in **** over this and is considering it the whisky purchase of his life...and I can't blame him. ******* impressive set and well done presentation wise.
That makes regular run of the mill Macallan 30 or Louis Tre taste like ****. You’ll never be able to drink a regular $10,000 bottle of Scotch again and think it’s any good. Your life has reached its pinnacle and it’s all game over now.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You mean I've hit peak Scotch? I need to see what the engineers say first...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads