Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ama

ama Senior member

Don't be sad, I'm cheating too. Dark n' Stormy here.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

3. omgitswes

omgitswes Senior member

My girlfriend bought me a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 for our anniversary. Just had a glass last night and I love it.

It's super easy to drink though so I have to be careful or else I'll find myself drink too much

4. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

Can someone recommend me a good single malt scotch to buy? No real price limit, but something good. I like Highland Park 18yr and Balvinie 15yr a lot. Whats something new I can try?

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Why not branch out into islays? Try a few before at a bar before you commit tho. My favorites are all of laphroaig and ardberg iterations

6. ama

ama Senior member

Try Lagavulin if you like HP18.

7. mic2111

mic2111 Member

As you like Highland Park and Balvinie I would recommend the Dalmore King Alexander III.... Quite expensive, but really nice.
    You can also try the Talisker Distillers Edition

8. calibre36

calibre36 Well-Known Member

I think Glenlivet 15 one of the most underrated highlands, and usually can be found for a deal.

9. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

No disrespect intended but perhaps the reason it is such an "underrated Highland" is because it is not a Highland--it is a Speyside.

http://www.scotchwhisky.com/english/about/malts/regspey.htm

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

10. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

^ this, Lagavulin 16, so smooth...

11. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

Lagavulin. [​IMG]

I went to a tasting a few weeks ago for the new Ardbeg 10, and it was fucking enormous. The dude at the tasting said there weren't that many bottles produced, which is sad, because it's great.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

12. Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash Senior member

I really like Talisker 10. You can get deals on it too, sometimes, because some people (especially bars/restaurants) think because it is 10 years it should be priced lower. Talisker is probably kicking themselves on that count. I also love Laphroaig (10 year on that is great, too). Lagavulin never did it for me, for some reason. I used to buy more of the older, high-end scotches but have decided that, for me, the solid mid-range delievers all the excitement I need, and more expensive ones tend to be more about snobbery (but I guess that can be fun, too - adventure and "private snobbery" are probably worth something). Reading these posts, I'm tempted to shell out for some cask-strength Macallan.

I live in Japan, and have always liked the Yamazaki for its warm, mellow flavor. It used to be fairly inexpensive here, but the price has shot up along with the accolades. I have never liked the Hibiki much (which used to be far pricier than the Yamazaki and I believe is still more expensive), and would always take the Yamazaki when offered a choice between the two.

13. LouisWalton

LouisWalton Member

If you are interested in tasting over a hundred scotches I suggest whiskeyfest. It is put on by whiskey advocate. Here is a link http://www.whiskyadvocate.com/whiskyfest.asp. It is only in Chicago, New York, and San Francisco. I went last year and had a great time and found some new things. The VIP ticket is definitley worth it. Just my two cents.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Nice. Thanks for that

Its funny. I had talisker 10 again at a tasting yesterday. I liked that woody mesquite smokiness but I prefer that bourbony sweetness of laphroaig 10 more. I also liked balvenie 17 Peated cask but wouldn't shell out money for that. Peat is almost unnoticeably subtle.

15. ama

ama Senior member

This whisky is a shitty version of the Islay Cask they did about five years ago. If you ever come across the Islay cask, that is the one to try.