Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

The bottle of the Airigh Nam Beist is nearly full. I'd say 60cl. It's the '08 bottling. How much can I expect when selling it? What is the best place in Germany (/Europe to sell it)? On eBay there is a '06 bottling with six days remaining at 100€. The bottle is sealed though.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. ama

ama Senior member

Nothing. I sincerely doubt anyone will buy an opened bottle of whisky off you on eBay or any other auction or sale site. I'm sure you would be violating the eBay TOS too as your bottle is not "collectible" since its been open. You best bet is to find a buddy that likes it and try and trade him for something you want.

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Aight. Might do that then. Bummer. But anyway, didn't pay full retail, so it's ok.

4. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

ama, just opened that Oban 18yr tonight. Honestly, there are very few similarities between this and the 14yr bottling. Far more sherry and briney notes. After it opens up, it gets quite tasty. Cheers!

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

PSA: Warehouse Wines & Spirits in NYC currently has Talisker 25 cask strength for $89! I saw bunch of other good deals too like Lagavulin 12 cask strength for $59 but that Talisker 25 deal is amazing. It's the 2005 57.2% version.
    http://www.warehousewinesandspirits.com/
    Fred

6. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

I can't find any scotch at all on their website, but that's an incredible deal.

7. sleu

sleu Senior member

Glenmorangie (Quina Ruban) - 12 years

Working on developing a broader taste for scotch. By far my favorite type of whisky.

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

That explains all the 05 25yrs that have been on ebay for the last couple years for ~$150... all sellers from NYC.

9. Fred G. Unn

According to the guy at the store, they pretty much bought up all the remaining stock of that bottling so that's how they can sell it so cheap. They have Distiller's Edition versions of Cragganmore and Oban for less than the regular releases too. They also had an interesting independent single cask bottling of Caol Ila (so only 340 bottles) for $79. I'm kind of regretting passing on that one. Definitely my favorite place to buy Scotch in the city.

10. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Hmmmm, I shall have to get the 18 then. I love the briney-ness of the Distiller's Edition, but am not a huge fan of the 14yr.

Yah, I PSA'd that puppy a few months ago. I should open it, love it, and buy another! Having a good eye at Wharehouse really pays off.

I've really been into Nadurra and a Lainig Royal Lochnagar of late.

Then try all of the Diageo Distiller's Edition whiskies (below) -- the secondary maturation will harken to the Quinta's, but also bridge to the different primary whisky styles:

Cragganmore(Speyside) -- winey, sherryish, and lots of ripe fruit
    Oban -- sweet, treacley, and salty
    Dalwhinnie (Highlands) -- caramel and vanilla
    Caol Ila (Islay) -- smokey, bright, sweet
    Lagavulin ( Isaly) -- SMOKE, but sweet, balanced with raisin
    Glenkinchie (Lowland) -- I actually haven't had one of these
    Talisker (Island) -- spicy and smoky

Also, get the Highland Park 12 -- it has the warmth of the Quinta, without the wineynessm but also has a little smokyness for richness.

~ H

11. Aerostat

Aerostat Well-Known Member

I tried over 40 scotches and these are my personal recommendations:

Laphroaig - 15 year is perfect and needs nothing, not ice, not water, nothing. Quarter cask and 10 year cask strength are great too. I haven't tried the 18 yet but I'm sure it's wonderful.

Ardbeg - Any of them, 10 year, Uigeadail, Airigh Nam Beist, Corryvreckan ,and Supernova. I have never tried the Blasda though. A word of caution: these are not beginner scotches. They are very smokey and complex, especially the Uigeadail which tastes like the sweat of an angry old man laying on the floor of a tack room. For my money I think they are a much better drink than the boringly, one-dimensional (smokey), Lagavulin.

Bunnahabhain - 12 year is fantastic and a great scotch to get you off the Oban. The 25 year is out of this world but it will set you back ~$200.

Bruichladdich - 15 year (hard to get now).

I also like:
    Clynelish - because it tastes like you're drinking a toffee candy (very sweet, not an everyday favorite but still nice).
    Aberlour a'bunadh - love the raisin in this one

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  12. ama

ama Senior member

Huh?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  13. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

+1 on Aberlour a'bunadh.

14. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

I am pretty new to scotch and am still trying to find some to my liking. So far I have had HP 12, Glen Livet 12 & 15 and last night I had a glass of Macallan 12. So far the HP has been my least favorite. The Macallan was delicious. Not sure if it was a fluke or not but so far it is my favorite. The Glen's were good too. I am considering picking up a bottle of Macallan. Any other recs?

15. Fred G. Unn

Glenlivet and Macallan are both from Speyside. HP is the northernmost distillery (IIRC) and it very good and very reasonably priced. None of the whiskys you tried have any smoke or peatiness however so I would definitely try something different for your next tasting. Talisker has a lot more smokiness, is very good and easy to find. Any of the Islays will be a completely different tasting experience as well. The whisky that got me "into" Scotch was a Lagavulin 16. Ardbeg's are probably my favorites but as the poster above put it they aren't beginner Scotches. I would maybe wait on the Laphroig too until you're used to the peat. Oban has a coastal saltiness to it and Springbank has an almost coconutty aftertaste. Nothing wrong with getting a bottle of Macallan and Speysides are certainly what most people think of when they think of Scotch, but I would get away from there and try something else too. Talisker, Oban, Lagavulin, or a Bruichladdich might all be good candidates to try next if you want to experience something different.