Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ama

ama Senior member

To me, Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12 taste like they were blended to be as boring as possible. JW Black at least has a little smoke to keep it interesting.

Nectar d'Or is good stuff, though I like Astar and PX the best of the reasonably priced GlenMo finishes.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

ya I gotcha.. the JW is smokier. That's not as desirable to me in that particular range of scotches. I did enjoy the GlenMo Nectar... but have not tried the Astar or PX. How would you describe those two and what's the difference? What do you like about them? I'll have to try 'em eventually! :happy:

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I prefer to say "as accessible as possible". The two 12yr old Glens also have their place in the market.

Hey ama, I'm planning on breaking open that Oban 18yr soon. What can I expect over the 14yr which I don't care for at all?

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Love the Oban, I was gifted a bottle of Yamasaki that I've been tempted to crack open. Anyone for longmorn?

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I've heard this before and now I'm really curious. I was having some Oban 14 yr. last night... (yes, I had GlenMo Nectar too!). Why does it get so dissed as compared to the 18yr? I haven't had the 18 yet so I'm just asking... I didn't dislike the 14. Any help?

6. golfnutter66

golfnutter66 Well-Known Member

It would indeed be truly a waste to mix Johnnie Walker Blue Label with anything. No ice either. Blue Label is so smooth and inoffensive that it is a great scotch (blended) to try 'neat' (no water or ice added).

The key to drinking scotch neat is to take a very small sip, I mean the tiniest of sips. Imagine a 1/4 of a teaspoon and try it. That way the spirit will not overwhelm the palate and you can enjoy it. As you know, whisky is not like beer and many other types of alcohol where you can take a big gulp.

Some whiskies benefit from the addition of a little water (ie. a teaspoon), while others do not. It is a matter of taste (your's obviously).

Good luck and dont hesitate to post more questions.

Cheers!

jason

7. ama

ama Senior member

Not nearly as sweet, more wood notes, less metallic taste. I think its a big improvement, but not something I'd buy that often.

8. ama

ama Senior member

That seems like way too much water to me. I usually add 2 - 5 drops.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

10. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

After reading this, I can't take you seriously anymore. Sorry.

I'll keep that in mind. Was on sale at our local shop so in case it exhibits any of the same characteristics I dislike about the 14yr, it wasn't a major loss.

Everyone will have their own personal preference for the amount of water they use, but yeah, you want better water control than a spoon so you don't drown your dram. Eye dropper works great.

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've bought a bottle of Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist (1990, bottled 2008) a while ago. This stuff is just to fukken heavy for me to enjoy. I do have problems with hard alcohol in general, but this is quite extreme.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

12. SkinnyGoomba

Huntsman, I've had the Longmorn 16 and really enjoyed it. I'm not much of a Connoisseur but longmorn definetly made my favorites.

Have you tried Yamazaki?

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

No, SG, I have not. The only Japanese malt I've had was Hibiki, and it didn't really do anything for me. Do you recommend it? If you like Longmorn look out for some Royal Lochnagar. I really think you'd enjoy that, but it is uncommon. If you are in the City, Park Ave Liquors often has some bottling.

~ H

14. SkinnyGoomba

I haven't spent enough time with it just yet, but it's on the stronger side. I'll definetly give the Royal Lochnagar a try.

15. golfnutter66

golfnutter66 Well-Known Member

IEBacon, I was advising someone who is a novice in scotch. A teaspoon is not an unreasonable amount to add to scotch where the drinker typically mixes pop (cola) with his spirit.

Your snobbiness is what gives scotch whisky fans a bad name.