• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

golfnutter66

Reaction score

Any suggestions for a very briny/salty single malt scotch? That's a flavor I haven't experience much in the scotches I've tasted, looking for one that maybe even over does it a little bit, just to get an idea of what it's like...

One single malt that fits that flavor profile to a "T" is Talisker 10 years. Highly recommended for those seeking those kind of flavors.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for a very briny/salty single malt scotch? That's a flavor I haven't experience much in the scotches I've tasted, looking for one that maybe even over does it a little bit, just to get an idea of what it's like...

Talisker is briny/salty, but I think those notes are secondary to its dominant pepperiness and wisps of smoke. Oban Distiller's Edition is the saltiest malt I've tried.

~ H

stormin10

Reaction score
Any help for "proper" drinking for good scotch? Im normally the mix cheap blends with some cola or lemonade type. However I was given a bottle of JW Blue label and I feel like doing that would be a huge waste. Im assuming its just neat in a glass, however ice? no ice? chilled... Typical questions I guess. Would be interested in your opinions.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a 1970's Port Ellen... drink it however you want. However if you haven't tried to before, just neat in a glass (tulipped like a brandy snifter if you have one). Drip clean room temp water into it to taste.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is some expert opinion that says ice will actually change the chemical composition, nevermind the taste.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any help for "proper" drinking for good scotch? Im normally the mix cheap blends with some cola or lemonade type. However I was given a bottle of JW Blue label and I feel like doing that would be a huge waste. Im assuming its just neat in a glass, however ice? no ice? chilled... Typical questions I guess. Would be interested in your opinions.

ya...that's it. JW is blended and many on here are not fans (including myself). Sometimes a few drops of distilled water can "open" the scotch a bit but I'm not sure that applies to blends as I only drink single malts when it comes to scotch neat.

tinsel

Reaction score
As blends come though you won't find many better than JW Blue Label it's a phenomenal tasting whisky. Why don't you try it each way: neat, with a drop of distilled water and with an ice cube to see which you prefer.

In general it will to an extent depend on your tolerance to neat spirits whether or not you can appreciate drinking it neat, but that's something you can build up

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As blends come though you won't find many better than JW Blue Label it's a phenomenal tasting whisky.

I would take any of Compass Box's blends over JW Blue.

stormin10

Reaction score
I realize a lot of you don't "respect" blended scotch but, realize I'm not a connoisseur I am a college student who happened to get a nice IMO bottle of scotch. Realistically I am more of a Crown and coke type... I do appreciate the info though and will try it both ways. Maybe this will "open my eyes" so to say...

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I realize a lot of you don't "respect" blended scotch but, realize I'm not a connoisseur I am a college student who happened to get a nice IMO bottle of scotch. Realistically I am more of a Crown and coke type... I do appreciate the info though and will try it both ways. Maybe this will "open my eyes" so to say...

I respect some blended whiskies (like Compass Box's offerings ama suggested)... just not JW's. JW still remains a cash cow for Diageo and has its place in the market though. Cost aside, I'd rather be drinking JW Green than Blue (although Green technically isn't a blend).

ANYWAY. That was a rather thoughtful gift and kudos for recognizing it as... something better than Crown. Enjoy it thoughtfully... share it with those who will appreciate it. Don't treat it like some ultra rare find like Diageo wants you to believe it is though. Maybe this will be a stepping stone to better whiskies in your future.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I respect some blended whiskies (like Compass Box's offerings ama suggested)... just not JW's. JW still remains a cash cow for Diageo and has its place in the market though. Cost aside, I'd rather be drinking JW Green than Blue (although Green technically isn't a blend).
ANYWAY. That was a rather thoughtful gift and kudos for recognizing it as... something better than Crown. Enjoy it thoughtfully... share it with those who will appreciate it. Don't treat it like some ultra rare find like Diageo wants you to believe it is though. Maybe this will be a stepping stone to better whiskies in your future.

Bacon speaks the truth.

Fwiw, I'd drink JW Black over Glenlivet or Glenfiddich 12 anytime. I'd also take Black or Green over Blue.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bacon speaks the truth.

Fwiw, I'd drink JW Black over Glenlivet or Glenfiddich 12 anytime. I'd also take Black or Green over Blue.

Absolutely! JW Black is my well whisky, the first scotch I ever had, and I still enjoy it if I want an unfussy scotch on the rocks. My only problem is with the Walker blends is that the value for the price at the higher ends is terrible, though the whisky itself is just fine. Gold is probably my favorite of the blends, I would say.

~ H

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bacon speaks the truth.

srsly? Black over a decent single malt? Personally I'd take practically Glen-"anything" over JW Black. I had some Glenmorangie Nectar d' Or last night that I quite enjoyed. just different tastes I guess.

Absolutely! JW Black is my well whisky, the first scotch I ever had, and I still enjoy it if I want an unfussy scotch on the rocks. My only problem is with the Walker blends is that the value for the price at the higher ends is terrible, though the whisky itself is just fine. Gold is probably  my favorite of the blends, I would say.

~ H

+1.. just not worth the money at that point.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads