Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. golfnutter66

golfnutter66 Well-Known Member

One single malt that fits that flavor profile to a "T" is Talisker 10 years. Highly recommended for those seeking those kind of flavors.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Talisker is briny/salty, but I think those notes are secondary to its dominant pepperiness and wisps of smoke. Oban Distiller's Edition is the saltiest malt I've tried.

~ H

3. ettebe

ettebe Senior member

4. stormin10

stormin10 Senior member

Any help for "proper" drinking for good scotch? Im normally the mix cheap blends with some cola or lemonade type. However I was given a bottle of JW Blue label and I feel like doing that would be a huge waste. Im assuming its just neat in a glass, however ice? no ice? chilled... Typical questions I guess. Would be interested in your opinions.

5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

It's not a 1970's Port Ellen... drink it however you want. However if you haven't tried to before, just neat in a glass (tulipped like a brandy snifter if you have one). Drip clean room temp water into it to taste.

6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

There is some expert opinion that says ice will actually change the chemical composition, nevermind the taste.

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

ya...that's it. JW is blended and many on here are not fans (including myself). Sometimes a few drops of distilled water can "open" the scotch a bit but I'm not sure that applies to blends as I only drink single malts when it comes to scotch neat.

8. tinsel

tinsel Well-Known Member

As blends come though you won't find many better than JW Blue Label it's a phenomenal tasting whisky. Why don't you try it each way: neat, with a drop of distilled water and with an ice cube to see which you prefer.

In general it will to an extent depend on your tolerance to neat spirits whether or not you can appreciate drinking it neat, but that's something you can build up

9. ama

ama Senior member

I would take any of Compass Box's blends over JW Blue.

10. stormin10

stormin10 Senior member

I realize a lot of you don't "respect" blended scotch but, realize I'm not a connoisseur I am a college student who happened to get a nice IMO bottle of scotch. Realistically I am more of a Crown and coke type... I do appreciate the info though and will try it both ways. Maybe this will "open my eyes" so to say...

11. stormin10

stormin10 Senior member

And while there are plenty of things I would assume "take" since it was a gift I can't really complain

12. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I respect some blended whiskies (like Compass Box's offerings ama suggested)... just not JW's. JW still remains a cash cow for Diageo and has its place in the market though. Cost aside, I'd rather be drinking JW Green than Blue (although Green technically isn't a blend).

ANYWAY. That was a rather thoughtful gift and kudos for recognizing it as... something better than Crown. Enjoy it thoughtfully... share it with those who will appreciate it. Don't treat it like some ultra rare find like Diageo wants you to believe it is though. Maybe this will be a stepping stone to better whiskies in your future.

13. ama

ama Senior member

Bacon speaks the truth.

Fwiw, I'd drink JW Black over Glenlivet or Glenfiddich 12 anytime. I'd also take Black or Green over Blue.

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Absolutely! JW Black is my well whisky, the first scotch I ever had, and I still enjoy it if I want an unfussy scotch on the rocks. My only problem is with the Walker blends is that the value for the price at the higher ends is terrible, though the whisky itself is just fine. Gold is probably my favorite of the blends, I would say.

~ H

15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

srsly? Black over a decent single malt? Personally I'd take practically Glen-"anything" over JW Black. I had some Glenmorangie Nectar d' Or last night that I quite enjoyed. just different tastes I guess.

+1.. just not worth the money at that point.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012