1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

No worries, Kent -- Connemara is an Irish whisky afterall. I don't know if Scots whisky drinkers are responsible or not. I am, but that isn't saying anything much.

I will say that Crown Royal does make a mean Old Fashioned.

~ Huntsman

2. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Say what you will about the whole Connemara situation but one thing is for certain, scotch whisky has been unfairly dragged into this shameful discussion.

Aren't scotch drinkers responsible people?

Well, I don't know about that, but I do know that if he comes back from his all-expenses-paid NYC junket without a bottle of Cragganmore, I'm going to start a new thread taking the piss out of him. That should be good for about 20 pages of pigpile fun. [​IMG]

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Is anyone familiar with this? [​IMG]

4. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

I've neither seen nor heard of that one, LS. Where/how did you come by it?

5. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

I got the photo on e-mail - apparently it's bottled in Scotland by a Danish importer (Aftappet i Scotland - Bottled in Scotland). That's really all I know.

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Just splash on some Lagavulin or dump a shot of Caol Ila into a potpourri.
    One of my favorite dessert recipes is a Scotch caramel ice cream. It's not worth using too high-end of a Scotch, since the medium doesn't convey a lot of the aroma and subtlety, but it's pretty damn good with Glenlivet.

7. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

One of my favorite dessert recipes is a Scotch caramel ice cream. It's not worth using too high-end of a Scotch, since the medium doesn't convey a lot of the aroma and subtlety, but it's pretty damn good with Glenlivet.

And the recipe is . . . ? [​IMG]

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

And the recipe is . . . ? [​IMG]
    I"ll have to get it at home and post it. As the name suggests, you caramelize sugar (I use raw sugar, although I don't think the original recipe called for it) in scotch. Beyond that, it's much like making any other homemade ice cream. But as I said, I'd be happy to post the step-by-step.

9. georgewallace

georgewallace New Member

i grew up on macallan 12 and 18 and on special occasions, the 25. always neat, of course

10. French Cuff Consignment

French Cuff Consignment Active Member

This past Sunday night before an exquisite Cioppino dinner, I tried, for the first time, the Macallan Cask Strength with a splash of water...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Good Night! It was simply SPECTACULAR! I am officially a disciple of this man

11. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

This past Sunday night before an exquisite Cioppino dinner, I tried, for the first time, the Macallan Cask Strength with a splash of water...It was simply SPECTACULAR!
    It is good, isn't it? And a surprising value.

12. jagela

jagela Active Member

Kent i think there are many 10 yr olds worth drinking. My current favourite is the macallan 10 year old finished in french oak barrels. i'm finding the peaty speysides tough going by comparison. i have the macallan 10 and caol ila going at the same time, and i'll finish three bottles of macallan before i finish one caol ila.

13. Xenok

Xenok Member

while i don't consider myself a scotch expert, i am quite a big fan of Single Malt.

my drink of choice in terms of value and availability is Macallan's 12. it's much better than the other two that should be very widely available, Glenfiddich and Glenlivet 12s. the other "value" (relative to single matls) scotch i try to get when i do find it is Oban.

i've tried practically everything mentioned here except for the Crag and a Talisker (this one shocks me as well considering i've drank a decent number of obscure single malts as well).

the best single malt i've had until last year was a MaCallan's 24, but i had chance to buy a bottle of Laphraoig Cask Strength (17 i believe) at the end of last year so i jumped on it. it is the single best malt i've had and by quite a bit.

i also love Lagavulin but i do have a word of warning regarding this scotch, it's a love/hate thing. you're either going to love how strong this scotch is or absolutely hate it, so before you leap into it i recommend you taste it first.

14. Alter

Alter Senior member

the best single malt i've had until last year was a MaCallan's 24, but i had chance to buy a bottle of Laphraoig Cask Strength (17 i believe) at the end of last year so i jumped on it. it is the single best malt i've had and by quite a bit.

The Laphraoig sounds delightful!

Last night I enjoyed a glass of Talisker and a few glasses of Suntory Yamazaki.

I think I will pick up a bottle of something tonight...I am still trying to locate some Dalwhinnie.

15. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I think I will pick up a bottle of something tonight...I am still trying to locate some Dalwhinnie.

Alter,

I have a bottle of Yoichi 1989 new cask, from Nikka in hokkaido.

http://www.whisky.fr/fiche_produit.php?id=644

This is one of the best single malt I have drank. It's worth looking for.

!luc

16. Alter

Alter Senior member

Alter,

I have a bottle of Yoichi 1989 new cask, from Nikka in hokkaido.

http://www.whisky.fr/fiche_produit.php?id=644

This is one of the best single malt I have drank. It's worth looking for.

!luc

Thanks Luc! I usually lean towards Suntory for Japanese whiskey but have had some nice stuff from Nikka too. I will look for it.

17. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

It is good, isn't it? And a surprising value.
    +11111111111
    Among other things, a much fuller, more caramel-y flavor than many others.

18. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

The Laphraoig cs is great, but like the Lagavulin, it's not bland. It's peaty and has something of a sharpness to it (I've heard it as having an undercurrent of iodine, and while I know what that description is trying to convey, it's unfairly unpleasant-sounding). Both are certainly worth a try, and you're likely to have a strong opinion one way or the other.

19. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Are any of the Japanese good values vis-a-vis the classical Scottish? They seem quite expensive here in the US.

What Scottish region would one classify the Japanese? Is it as diverse? Are there any Islay-like ones?

20. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i'm looking to give a graduation present for someone. i'm not exactly rich, but i'm looking for good bang for buck. i was thinking of the laphroaig 10 for almost $50 or some sarzerac 6 at a nearby store, but anybody have some good suggestions?