Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. golfnutter66

golfnutter66 Well-Known Member

Japanese whiskies can be very good. Particularly the Hibiki 17 yrs. In a blind taste test, people assume they are drinking a high end Speysider.

2. ettebe

ettebe Senior member

Cool. Thanks for the link, I will for sure check out your blog.

3. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

I like my share of Japanese whiskies and think they are a viable whisky variant. But we should really try to keep this thread dedicated to Scotch and its actual definition.

That said, I recently tried the Clynelish 14 and found it rather enjoyable. It has a faint peat taste that makes it suitable as an introduction to some of the more intense Islays.

4. Alter

Alter Senior member

Why? Can't think that this forum really needs another thread to cover the non-Scotch whiskies.

5. ama

ama Senior member

Do you work for the SWA or something? There are plenty of great non-Scottish whiskeys that can, and merit to be, discussed alongside traditional scotches.

6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

So sorry but I disagree. Will we talk about Bourbon and Rye in this thread as well?

If so, then perhaps the thread ought to be renamed.

7. DWFII

Don't they deserve pride of place in their own thread?

8. ama

ama Senior member

No, they are most similar to scotch and there is no reason to fragment the thread as they are not that popular or oft discussed.

9. ettebe

ettebe Senior member

Didn't think I would cause a whole controversy. Anyways, I must have tried about a dozen or so different scotches since I got into enjoying the different tastes and one that really caught me off guard was Talisker. It has an interesting after taste, I just can't remember which year I had though. One of the scotch I got a bottle of was Dewars. WOW that was a real awkward thing to drink, but that is me.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  10. DWFII

Considering the title of the thread and the expectations it engenders, I suspect all such discussion would be automatically "off topic."

Just my opinion but I kind of wish that the thread title were "Any One for a Single Malt Scotch?"

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  11. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

I am not knocking on Japanese whisky but this thread is about Scotch. Last time I checked, this thread is called "Any One for a Scotch?" not "Any One for a Scotch or something equivalent that is technically not a Scotch?"

I very much like this thread and have learned a great deal from it. I think the purpose of this thread is compromised once there are discussions about non-Scotch whiskies. Like DWF mentioned, I would react the same way if people started posting about bourbon or rye whiskey in this thread.

12. ama

ama Senior member

Bourbon and rye are big enough and dissimilar enough to scotch to have their own thread. I cannot understand why you would be so sensitive about someone discussing a Japanese, Indian, etc. whiskey in this thread. It doesn't compromise the discussion, it adds to it and gives it a new dimension. As much as it might pain you to recognize it, they are many incredible world whiskeys that myself and many other scotch lovers would happily drink over a similarly priced and greatly inferior Scotch whisky.

In your honor I will drink some first batch Spice Tree and Amrut Fusion tonight. Salud!

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

OMG.

I'm, thus far, a pure Scots whisky Scotch kind of guy. I've had Hibiki and wasn't nuts about it (didn't actually even know it WAS Hibiki). But seriously, the Japanese and other worldwide whiskys that imitate Scots' whisky (like, for instance, the Tuthilltown endeavors) are all about the Scots' style of whisky, which is completely distinct from any other whisky in the world. Really, where else would you discuss it but in a Scotch thread? In a Scotch thread you can compare and contrast, to, OMG, Scots' whisky, on which the whole style is based?!!! I mean, duh?! The thread is about Scotch, not snobbery -- if we wanted a thread about Single Malts that could have been started (and of course, any SF member can), but then we'd also lose the discussion about the great vatted malts, about the blends and the influence of Royal Lochnagar or Cardhu on Johnnie Walker, about John Glaser and Compass Box. Geez, people.

~ H

14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Hibiki is not all that impressive... try a Yoichi and you might have to give the Japanese whiskies their due, some/most of the Yoichis are fantastic.

15. Alter

Alter Senior member

Wrong thread, noob.