1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. rwbenjey

rwbenjey Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the CS. I've had the 12, 15, and 18 year. I was tempted to try the CS awhile ago, but after hearing numerous accounts of Aberlour A'bunadh and Glenfarclas 105 being better, I waited. It will probably reach my glass eventually for trial run...the damn distilleries make too much of an enticing product...:bounce2:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. ama

ama Senior member

The CS is better than the 12 and 18 (and clearly the 15, but that isn't really a fair fight...). Its on par with Aberlour A'bunadh and Glenfarclas 105, but a little more refined than both of those, especially the newer batches of them.

3. rwbenjey

Heh, agreed about the 15 (Fine Oak)....

Whisky Exchange shows the CS as discontinued, so I may have to be a little more proactive to test the stuff (though that may mean a discount to get it off the shelf).

4. ama

ama Senior member

I've not heard anything about a discontinuation. It is still plentiful here.

5. rwbenjey

I may have just begun. As that noted website is overseas, the effect will take time (as will U.S. stocks). I don't think I'm in a mad rush, but would probably need to grab some decently soon. What are you drinking these days?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  6. MrGimpy

MrGimpy Senior member

Picked up a bottle of the Bowmore 15 Laimrig today and the first pour was very promising. Salty, smoky, and leathery, becoming a little more medicinal. Very happy with this buy.

Haven't tried it with water yet, which I suppose I should do.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  7. chrisjr

chrisjr Senior member

Thanks for this. Stopped by Warehouse Wines & Liqour - got a nice bottle of cali cab sauv and a brunello (both of which i intended to lay down but were opened by guests inadvertantely over the past week :brick:), and a bottle of Talisker 175 year anniversary. Salesman steered my away from going for the 25. GF kopped a bottle of cakebreak chardonnay.

8. ama

ama Senior member

Salesman screwed you IMO. 25 is worlds better than 175th.

9. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Yep. Barely had enough room in the suitcase for another 25yr.

10. ama

ama Senior member

You mean the one you were bringing for me! :D

11. sohabe

sohabe Member

I am more of a Cognac drinker, but I love Scotch (especially with a cigar) but I don't know much about it.

My friend introduced me to a great scotch called Cardhu, they are a commodity in Canada since they are not to be found on the shelves anymore. I stock up at the duty free shop when my budget it too tight for the bottles of XO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardhu
    http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/B-40-Cardhu.aspx?pg=2#more

For the price point I think it is a great whisky and I think I am going to have to take a drink of it right now :)

12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Depends on your taste. The talisker 25 they have is quite salty in the beginning but goes away later. The 175 anniversary is more of a standard tasting scotch.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Which if any of the Bruichladdich scotches do you guys enjoy? I've bought the 'rocks' as a clien gift on a recommendation, but never one of their scotches for my own purposes.

14. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Srs? You sure you'd want it after shipping?

I guess ama and I have bad taste.

Bruichladdich is a tough beast to dissect... there's an overwhelmingly huge array of releases the Murray McDavid guys released from existing stock when they bought the distillery in 2000 and it's really all over the place. The 10yr (The Laddie) the Murray Mc guys actually produced and released is amazingly good, especially for the price. The Port Charlotte releases are whole different animal.

And from what I hear, the Murray Mc guys just sold the distillery to a conglomerate... :(

15. ama

ama Senior member

I'm sure you want it too, but if you again before me I'll take one. I haven't gotten to NY in a while, and they don't ship. :(

Agree on the Laddie. The 10 is very good, as is the organic, the first Black Arts and a couple of the wine barrels. That said, I would try them before I bought if I could. Bacon is right, they are all over the place!

16. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

I agree--now you'll have to come back to NYC and try again!

17. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Thanks guys, I might give the Laddie a shot. I was thinking one of the older scotches but maybe my money is better spent elsewhere, for what it's worth I like McCallan 18. What do you guys think about the Balvenie 15yr?

18. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I like The Laddie, has something different about it that I have a hard time describing.

Looking for something a little different. Previous bottles:
    Glenlivet 12
    Macallan Cask Strength
    Balvenie Doublewood
    Compass Box Peat Monster
    Bruichladdich The Laddie
    Glenmorangie Artein

I liked them all, really can't say which was stood out. Glenlivet is probably the weakest simply because it doesn't have a lot of depth. I've really dug in on bourbons previously, and sort of want to explore some of the different elements in scotch. Ocean/brine/iodine notes maybe? I've tried the heavy peat notes already (Peat Monster), done some of the sherry cask stuff (Doublewood and Macallan), wine finish with Artein. Considering Ardbeg Corryvreckan but open to suggestions. Would like to stay ~$60 or less.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  19. gopherblue

gopherblue Senior member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Longrow CV. Can be found for $50 (sometimes less). Hits like Mays, runs like Hayes.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  20. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Does not appear to be available in my county :(