Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

If you're driving north from Boston, there's also a huge liquor outlet off of I-93 right near Manchester, NH. Easy on, easy off the interstate.

Hell, they even sell lottery tickets.

you can also hit the store on the way coming back south to boston.. in case you run out of booze during your vacation

2. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

The 9.75% sales tax, 10% state income tax (if you make over $40k/yr) and typically the highest gas prices (I got cheap gas for $4.31 today [​IMG] ) in the nation more than makes up for the booze prices.

Couldn't agree more. Scotch prices are decent, but only if you know where to shop. SF has some great stores.

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

you can also hit the store on the way coming back south to boston.. in case you run out of booze during your vacation

I wonder if Ray's State Line is still open just over the line from Dracut, MA? They did a thriving business in tobacco and beer when I lived in Lowell, MA

4. Waistcoat

Waistcoat Well-Known Member

I know it's only been out for a week, but are there any Ardbeg committee members that were keen enough to get a bottle of the Alligator already? Looking forward to hearing about it.

5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Early on, I was told I'd be able to reserve 2 bottles. Last month, I was informed it'd probably just be one. Last night, I was informed that they'll be shipping late and I might not even get one (Moet/LVMH apparently didn't get nearly as many cases as they thought they would).

Not mad though. Last year's Rollercoaster was disappointing.

6. divitius

divitius Well-Known Member

I know this is probably futile, but does anyone happen to know an online source that might still have some Cragganmore distiller's edition? Nobody seems to have any anywhere...

7. ama

ama Senior member

Early on, I was told I'd be able to reserve 2 bottles. Last month, I was informed it'd probably just be one. Last night, I was informed that they'll be shipping late and I might not even get one (Moet/LVMH apparently didn't get nearly as many cases as they thought they would).

Not mad though. Last year's Rollercoaster was disappointing.

D & M has the regular release in store now. I picked up a couple from them.

I know this is probably futile, but does anyone happen to know an online source that might still have some Cragganmore distiller's edition? Nobody seems to have any anywhere...

Did you not try Googling it? There are probably fifty different places you can buy it from...

8. divitius

divitius Well-Known Member

Did you not try Googling it? There are probably fifty different places you can buy it from...

Yeah...lots have it listed, but when I try to order it and it's never actually in stock. [​IMG]

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Has anyone tried the Glennfiddich Snow Phoenix whiskey yet? I know, it's a bit gimmicky, but you gotta hand it to the folks at Glennfiddich, what a way to turn a near disaster into a pretty cool and intriguing marketing pitch..

10. ama

ama Senior member

Has anyone tried the Glennfiddich Snow Phoenix whiskey yet? I know, it's a bit gimmicky, but you gotta hand it to the folks at Glennfiddich, what a way to turn a near disaster into a pretty cool and intriguing marketing pitch..

I bought one, but I haven't opened it yet. The reviews I've seen haven't been glowing.

11. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

I bought one, but I haven't opened it yet. The reviews I've seen haven't been glowing.

I've tried some - a friend of mine bought two bottles because they were supposed to be "special limited releases." It was my first time trying anything from Glennfiddich, and I haven't tried many Speysides in general, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I thought it was pretty enjoyable - very fruity on the nose, some spice, and very subtle wood/peat. That said, I certainly don't think it was worth the $100 or so he paid per bottle. My other experiences with Speysides have been Macallan, and for the money, I think I prefer the Macallan 15.

12. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

What would the scotch experts recommend for a scotch newbie? Say $60 tops? I am a beer geek and don't have any experience with any other alcohol's but have always wanted to give whiskey a shot.

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

What would the scotch experts recommend for a scotch newbie? Say $60 tops? I am a beer geek and don't have any experience with any other alcohol's but have always wanted to give whiskey a shot.
    I'm not a scotch expert but, IMO... Talisker...Not a peat monster, not a sugar daddy. Or GlenMorangie--a good Highland malt. Anything over 12 years old in either of those two. YMMV

14. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

I'm not a scotch expert but, IMO...

Talisker...Not a peat monster, not a sugar daddy.

Or GlenMorangie--a good Highland malt.

Anything over 12 years old in either of those two.

YMMV

Thanks for the suggestions I will look into those. Is it a bad sign if I did not enjoy Glenfiddich 12 year?

15. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Thanks for the suggestions I will look into those. Is it a bad sign if I did not enjoy Glenfiddich 12 year?
    I don't know if it is a "bad sign"...I didn't enjoy the Glenfiddich when I tried it early on in my malt journey, either. But it might be a sign that you need to re-think your expectations. Or it might be a sign that you need to add a small amount of water to yer dram. Let it sit a moment or two and then sip slowly....make a shot last.