Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. jobro

jobro Senior member

Tried this recently and decided to pick up a bottle. I concur that it's quite good, and the pricepoint is reasonable, IMO.

You guys better be kopping at the price you get it for!

2. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

You guys better be kopping at the price you get it for!

Cali really lucks out on booze...I think jet said Lap was 28 bucks there and its more than 40 here in Atlanta. I guess Cali make up for it in housing prices.

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Cali really lucks out on booze...I think jet said Lap was 28 bucks there and its more than 40 here in Atlanta. I guess Cali make up for it in housing prices.

Cause and effect.

4. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Shit. Boston is terrible for booze prices. Laph is $65, hp18 $95-100 and i don't remember the talisker18 price but10 is like $55-60

5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Shit. Boston is terrible for booze prices. Laph is $65, hp18 $95-100 and i don't remember the talisker18 price but10 is like $55-60

AND housing is expensive. haha

But seriously, those prices aren't too bad. They're pretty typical for California if you don't know where to shop.

6. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

The 9.75% sales tax, 10% state income tax (if you make over $40k/yr) and typically the highest gas prices (I got cheap gas for $4.31 today [​IMG] ) in the nation more than makes up for the booze prices.

7. chronoaug

AND housing is expensive. haha

But seriously, those prices aren't too bad. They're pretty typical for California if you don't know where to shop.

I've googled for lower prices and checked a bunch of places but this is the best i can find. Next wedding i have to go to in vermont or new hampshire (forget which one has the cheap booze) i'll have to load up

8. jobro

jobro Senior member

The 9.75% sales tax, 10% state income tax (if you make over $40k/yr) and typically the highest gas prices (I got cheap gas for $4.31 today [​IMG] ) in the nation more than makes up for the booze prices.
    Seriously, that is nothing. We have 10% sales tax (GST), 17% tax on a $50,000 income, and our gas prices are around $1.42 per litre or $5.37 per gallon. The average house price is set to top $500,000 by the end of the FY.

To add to that, we in Perth are forced to drive everywhere due to suburban sprawl and we have some of the lousiest infrastructure I've ever seen. Don't even think about having some fun here, everything is heavily regulated or illegal.

Please, take advantage of your cheap liquor.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

+1, everything is better over in the land of the free, except the women. Enjoy what you have.

10. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

new hampshire has better prices on liquor than massachusetts. wine is about the same, sometimes more.

nh has a website where you can see the price of everything they carry and which stores have it.

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

new hampshire has better prices on liquor than massachusetts. wine is about the same, sometimes more.

nh has a website where you can see the price of everything they carry and which stores have it.

If you're driving north from Boston, there's also a huge liquor outlet off of I-93 right near Manchester, NH. Easy on, easy off the interstate.

Hell, they even sell lottery tickets.

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Not Scotch, but I bought this on a whim today, not knowing what to expect from an "Oregon Single Malt" whisky. Not bad at all, and certainly worth what I paid. Slightly reminiscent of what a younger Laphroiag would taste like if there was such a thing. Very light in color, with mild peat.

[​IMG]

13. ama

ama Senior member

Not Scotch, but I bought this on a whim today, not knowing what to expect from an "Oregon Single Malt" whisky. Not bad at all, and certainly worth what I paid. Slightly reminiscent of what a younger Laphroiag would taste like if there was such a thing. Very light in color, with mild peat.

[​IMG]

Did you get the 40% ABV one or the one that is like 46.3%?

I love the stuff also, and its only $35 here.

14. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Did you get the 40% ABV one or the one that is like 46.3%?

I love the stuff also, and its only $35 here.

IIRC, the latter. Forty bucks here, but worth it IMO. Not a daily drinker, but I was pleasantly surprised.

15. chronoaug