Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

So, I dropped by the Suntory shop at their head office in Osaka and bought some glasses and a muddler that is made from their whisky barrels. If any of you guys are interested in one of the muddlers, drop me a pm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice glasses, love japanese whiskey/scotch

2. jobro

jobro Senior member

Nice glasses, love japanese whiskey/scotch
    Can't be Scottish if it's Japanese!

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

[​IMG]

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Ha ha fail on my part

5. Alter

Alter Senior member

Bowmore is owned by Suntory. [​IMG]

6. jobro

jobro Senior member

Bowmore is owned by Suntory. [​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if there are kilts made in China.

7. Alter

Alter Senior member

I wouldn't be surprised if there are kilts made in China.
    Bagpipes as well, probably. [​IMG] But I am just kidding really. I wouldn't consider Bowmore as anything except Scotch.

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I couldn't resist, despite being off the booze at the moment. They call them Yamazaki tasting glasses....only 580 yen each. Ya want I kop you some? No problem if shipping is in Japan.

I'm in the midst of boxing and packing stuff I want to keep, still planning on a move over there... you'll have to take me down to the Suntory hq someday. Tasting tour is not really considered drinking, is it? [​IMG]

I've been on a mizuwari tear for a couple months as well, and will probably stick with it all through summer since I have no A/C in my flat. I have a Sodastream and I'll get a bottle of Blanton's soon, plus a few stacks of those Sainsbury's ice cube bags - all I need for summertime. [​IMG]

9. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

And Ben Nevis is owned by Nikka. It's still Scotch whisky because the final product meets the strict laws setup by the UK government.

10. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

No A/C. In Asia. In the summer.

would not wish that upon my worst enemy.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I have A/C actually, it just happens to be one of those wall boxes made to fill floor space (with a normal 7.5' Asian-height ceiling) up to a quarter of what floor space I actually have... but I have 20 foot ceilings and live on a high floor of my building. [​IMG] Ran it for a month, it only got hotter inside (think like 100+ degrees) and we got the electric bill that month, it was $750, up from what is normally about $50. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] The only thing I can do is put on a deadbolt (soon) and just leave the door cracked open all summer to get the crosswinds, and deal with my dog screaming down the hallway all day and night when she hears a pizza guy walk by. [​IMG] For all the volume of my apartment, I only have 5' x 2' window that is openable, and then the rest of the whole wall of glass is fixed, so we bake. [​IMG] Really one of the worst thought out architectural ideas in a city full of horrendously bad architectural ideas... So anyway, bring on the whiskey mizuwaris. [​IMG] I have a bottle of that shit ass Taketsuru 12y so I'm gonna mizuwari the hell out of that, I've got a bottle of Maker's Mark that isn't that great as a highball but it'll do if I'm drankin, and then I think I'll get that bottle of Blanton's and finish that this summer. No Scotch til fall, or so. [​IMG]

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Anyone tried Smokehead Islay Single Malt Whisky?

lefty

13. burlawa

burlawa Well-Known Member

Anyone tried Smokehead Islay Single Malt Whisky?

lefty

I had a taste of it a couple weeks ago when I was picking a new bottle at my lc. I really don't know enough Islays to try and place it (I've only tried one expression each of Laph, Ardberg and Bowmore). I had had some Talisker 10yo shortly before and the Smokehead was obviously quite inferior to the point I didn't even consider it despite it being $30 cheaper a bottle and me being broke. From what I remember it was very smokey up front and not much else. I like a fuller body with smoke and peat and the Smokehead didn't seem to have much at all.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

15. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

Yay it's here!
    [​IMG]

Tried this recently and decided to pick up a bottle. I concur that it's quite good, and the pricepoint is reasonable, IMO.