Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Pricing really is all over the place depending what part of the country you're in. I do notice that California consistently has some of the cheapest booze around though.
    Let's relish having at least one fun thing in our favor.

2. Alter

Alter Senior member

So, I dropped by the Suntory shop at their head office in Osaka and bought some glasses and a muddler that is made from their whisky barrels. If any of you guys are interested in one of the muddlers, drop me a pm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

those glasses are kawaii as fuck. nice pickup.

4. Alter

Alter Senior member

those glasses are kawaii as fuck. nice pickup.

I couldn't resist, despite being off the booze at the moment. They call them Yamazaki tasting glasses....only 580 yen each. Ya want I kop you some? No problem if shipping is in Japan.

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

Is that an etched line marking a pour? Not feelin that type on there either, at least they were cheap.

6. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

training glasses for me

7. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Not feeling those glasses either... they look cheap. They're also the same price as a Glencairn.

And I'll just ask it... what the hell is that muddler for? It's either the size of a chopstick or your new glasses are a foot tall.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

training glasses for me

they would aid you in learning how much to pour

9. Alter

Alter Senior member

Is that an etched line marking a pour? Not feelin that type on there either, at least they were cheap.

Yep...they have pour lines. They are tasting glasses used when they give factory tours.

Not feeling those glasses either... they look cheap. They're also the same price as a Glencairn.

And I'll just ask it... what the hell is that muddler for? It's either the size of a chopstick or your new glasses are a foot tall.

The muddler is for mixing highballs or other cocktails. It is around chopstick size, I suppose.

10. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

The muddler is for mixing highballs or other cocktails. It is around chopstick size, I suppose.

I just figured it out.

What you're describing is a bar spoon. Muddler's for muddling. That whisky barrel stick is for stirring mizuwari. [​IMG]

11. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Just reached the end of a dram of Caol Ila 12. Good evening, gentlemen.

12. Alter

Alter Senior member

I just figured it out. What you're describing is a bar spoon. Muddler's for muddling. That whisky barrel stick is for stirring mizuwari. [​IMG]
    That's right, for mizuwari. Sorry for the confusion...in Japan that whisky barrel stick is called a muddler. What do you call that in American English? Stir stick? Swizzle stick?

13. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Most of what you described is usually performed with a bar spoon... that's not to say the stick doesn't exist. It's usually just referred to as a stir stick. The concept of mizuwari doesn't really exist in the states. I guess the closest thing would be Scotch & Soda, but there really isn't any stirring involved there (bars will often serve it with thin straws and let you do the stirring).

A muddler is something quite a bit different here... used for crushing things like sugar cubes, mint, etc.

14. Alter

Alter Senior member

Most of what you described is usually performed with a bar spoon... that's not to say the stick doesn't exist. It's usually just referred to as a stir stick. The concept of mizuwari doesn't really exist in the states. I guess the closest thing would be Scotch & Soda, but there really isn't any stirring involved there (bars will often serve it with thin straws and let you do the stirring).

A muddler is something quite a bit different here... used for crushing things like sugar cubes, mint, etc.

Gotcha, thanks. I do actually have a proper bar spoon and fruit muddler as well....I just forgot the proper English word for the stir stick...lived here too long, I suppose.

15. jobro

jobro Senior member

I would say it is similar to a glass stiring rod, which are often found in cocktail bars.