Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. darnold

darnold Senior member

Just picked up three bottles last week, to replenish soon to be extinguished supplies. BevMo has PC6 $40 off @ $99, which was impossible to resist for me. Picked up a Tal 18 and a Glenfarclas 25. I have been consistently impressed with Glenfarclas distillery bottlings lately.

2. ama

ama Senior member

Just picked up three bottles last week, to replenish soon to be extinguished supplies. BevMo has PC6 $40 off @ $99, which was impossible to resist for me. Picked up a Tal 18 and a Glenfarclas 25. I have been consistently impressed with Glenfarclas distillery bottlings lately.

I like Glenfarclas 25, but its a touch woody for my taste. The other two your bought are phenomenal.

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I've tried quite a few single malts in my short years, and I can honestly say that the Laphroaig 15 (my first Laphroaig) was abysmal. Tasted like oily seaweed mixed with mouthwash; rain water scooped out of a sewage plant with Bvlgari Aqua Marine dumped into it and mixed 50/50 with a single malt. I guess even those who've acquired a taste for Scotch have to acquire a taste for Laphroaig.

With that:

Highland: The Macallan 18 and 21

Speyside: The Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve

Lowland: The Auchentoshan 12 (my "dessert" Scotch)

If I'm going to drink an Islay, it'll be Lagavulin 16.

Blended's The Dimple.

To me, I could actually drink Auchentoshan as a daily and think it has a nice basic combo of flavors; I don't find it all that sweet really, in the scheme of things. Granted, I make these kinds of determinations in the heat of the moment (the moment often includes 5 scotches [​IMG])

4. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

5. randydjack

randydjack Member

I think Auchentoshan (12) would be forgettable if not for the late palate and finish. I get honey and caramel; to me it's a very light whisky (three times) that has a sweet finish to it.

6. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

If it's not 10/12y here, then the only other price point is 'expensive'

Which is ironic because some Scotch-heads speculate the oggy and corry aren't even that old. [​IMG]

7. ama

ama Senior member

Which is ironic because some Scotch-heads speculate the oggy and corry aren't even that old. [​IMG]

It doesn't taste like Corry is. Oggy on the other hand, tastes like it has some old whisky in it for sure.

8. denning

denning Senior member

I was off visiting a friend yesterday, and I stopped at there local wine and spirits shop, and could have sworn it was Glenmorangie D'or Nectar they had on sale for $35, originally 48.99, but wasn't sure if it was worth picking up or not. They had a couple bottles left. Is it any good?

I have a bottle and very much enjoy it. But it has it's place. I would almost think of it as a summer scotch. It is a lighter and fruitier scotch. For $35 I would definitely pick up a bottle.

9. impolyt_one

Every department store wine/spirits shop has several Glenlivet/Glenfiddich variants, and Macallan - that's the handywork of just one or two big trading companies. I don't even know how much those are here, never paid attention, but I know Macallan 12 is 105,000W'ish, non-discount (you know how the discount bottles get labeled as such here)

HP18 is 180,000W
    Laph QC was 85,000W
    Laph 10Y was 75,000W
    Balvenie DW was 85,000W
    I think Yoichi and Yamazaki are both north of 100, maybe up to 120,000W each

Besides those names above, I haven't seen too many other names for sale in either the department stores or small world liquor shops here. There's Glenmorangie, as well, but I haven't seen any other distillers for retail. I've drank tons of official bottlings here at bars though, all done through legit trading companies, so I don't even know how these trading companies get by selling to only a few hotel bars and a couple specialty whisky bars. SMS doesn't even sell at those places, locals buy whatever blend is cheapest and leave it at the bar to drink 3 more times.

10. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

Welcome to the land of Australia, where shipping costs plus a ridiculous duty jacks the price up on everything. The cheapest single malt I've seen is Glenlivet/fiddich for around $50, it just goes up from there. Uigeadail is, wait for it, $135...

Bummer. That would make this a much more expensive habit. Next time I drop $100 on a bottle I will remind myself that it would cost double in Australia. [​IMG]

11. sf_esq

sf_esq Senior member

I have a bottle and very much enjoy it. But it has it's place. I would almost think of it as a summer scotch. It is a lighter and fruitier scotch. For $35 I would definitely pick up a bottle.

I have to agree, $35 is a steal. You can definitely taste the dessert wine influence in it. Would also agree that it's a nice summer bottle. If you ever have a chance to try the Glenmorangie Astar, IMO, it is outstanding. Also just picked up a bottle of the Glenmorangie Finealta and it's quite good too, although I had very high expectations based on all the glowing reviews and it was a slight disappointment.

12. Boston Litigator

Boston Litigator Well-Known Member

At a tasting Saturday had JW Blue &amp; Green. First time having Green and really enjoyed it.

13. impolyt_one

Am I still the only person who tastes a dried fish note in the Uigey? [​IMG]

14. jet

jet Persian Bro

Had some tali 18 set aside for me sup ama.

15. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

thinking about getting some hp18 tonight.