Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

$100 for the QC is steep. Where do you live? I paid about $50 for the QC and $60 for the Uigeadail.

yeah that is pretty expensive.. QC is $50 and recently bought another bottle of Uigeadail for around $65ish.

2. DLester

DLester Senior member

Hello scotch thread.

So I just picked up Laphroaig 18. I was curious if anyone else has tried it and what they think. I like it but I basically just cracked it open two days ago and need to get deeper into the bottle before I can be sure.

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

My favorite Laphroaig, that's for sure.

4. ama

ama Senior member

Hello scotch thread.

So I just picked up Laphroaig 18. I was curious if anyone else has tried it and what they think. I like it but I basically just cracked it open two days ago and need to get deeper into the bottle before I can be sure.

I like it, but I liked the 15 that is replaced more.

5. DLester

DLester Senior member

I usually don't add water to scotch but just a bit of water seems to make the Laph 18 open up quite a bit. There is a lot going on in there~~~

6. Waistcoat

Waistcoat Well-Known Member

$100 for the QC is steep. Where do you live? I paid about $50 for the QC and $60 for the Uigeadail.

Welcome to the land of Australia, where shipping costs plus a ridiculous duty jacks the price up on everything. The cheapest single malt I've seen is Glenlivet/fiddich for around $50, it just goes up from there. Uigeadail is, wait for it, $135...

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Uigey would be like $200 a bottle here, but it's not for sale at the shops; there's one bar with it and they ask $40 a shot.

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

That sucks. How about the corry?

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

i dont even know tbh, just saw it on a shelf and went in for the kill. If it's not 10/12y here, then the only other price point is 'expensive' edit: got that for half off though[​IMG] and they rang me a $70 shot as a $15 one last time as well [​IMG]

10. duofold

duofold Well-Known Member

Picked up a couple of bottles...Laphroaig 18 for $50 and Talisker 18 for $70.

Laphroaig 18 is easily found here in MN. Not so much for Talisker 18. Had to scour the web for Talisker; I found it at Beltramo's for $70.

11. Bond111

Bond111 Senior member

I was off visiting a friend yesterday, and I stopped at there local wine and spirits shop, and could have sworn it was Glenmorangie D'or Nectar they had on sale for $35, originally 48.99, but wasn't sure if it was worth picking up or not. They had a couple bottles left. Is it any good?

12. randydjack

randydjack Member

I've tried quite a few single malts in my short years, and I can honestly say that the Laphroaig 15 (my first Laphroaig) was abysmal. Tasted like oily seaweed mixed with mouthwash; rain water scooped out of a sewage plant with Bvlgari Aqua Marine dumped into it and mixed 50/50 with a single malt. I guess even those who've acquired a taste for Scotch have to acquire a taste for Laphroaig.

With that:

Highland: The Macallan 18 and 21

Speyside: The Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve

Lowland: The Auchentoshan 12 (my "dessert" Scotch)

If I'm going to drink an Islay, it'll be Lagavulin 16.

Blended's The Dimple.

13. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Picked up a couple of bottles...Laphroaig 18 for $50 and Talisker 18 for $70. Laphroaig 18 is easily found here in MN. Not so much for Talisker 18. Had to scour the web for Talisker; I found it at Beltramo's for $70.
    I wish I can buy spirits online. Talisker 18 is like a fossil down here. jw, you like fountain pen?

14. duofold

A little. Introduced to me by my wife. She gave me a Greenwich Meridian and a Mosaic as gifts long ago. Was using one when trying to figure out a SF username.

15. duofold