• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
QC doesn't have a specified age. People think it may be 8 years, but the 10 year is all 10 year. Sort of like the difference between a vintage and non-vintage bottle of champagne. I think also the QC is a blend.
I don't think so. QC is a SM that is aged in smaller barrels. This means that relative to the volume more whisky is in contact with more wood...surface area. It simply ages faster than whisky in larger barrels. Personally, I think QC stands head and shoulders above the 10--Ilike peat and Islay malts almost to the exclusion of all others but that said, I value drinkability as well and am not into rough or harsh simply for their own sake.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you dudes are the most sensitive males on the planet

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
I'd have to agree. I've had a... lot of SMS but ultimately I find myself rebuying QC, HP18, and Talisker 10yr constantly to have everyday. Of course, I have a bunch of 25+ yr, rare, out of production, from defunct denim mill type **** sitting in storage waiting for a special occasion to crack open. I just hope I'm not like 80yrs old with a failing liver by the time I get around to it.
I am the same way though my standard , are HP18, Aberlour a'bunadh, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Springbank 10 100, Glenfarclas 105, Laphroaig 15 (thankfully I bought a ton of this) and Lagavulin 16. I have more than a few bottles that I hope to man up and open one day.
laugh.gif
Also, B, get the QC or the 10 CS. Don't waste time on the regular 10.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ama: I just saw a huge Diageo restock at my local shop including at least a couple cases of Talisker 18yr. STOCK UP!

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ama: I just saw a huge Diageo restock at my local shop including at least a couple cases of Talisker 18yr. STOCK UP!

I just got a call from my store like 45 mins ago! I have four bottles with name on them already! I wonder if Caol Ila 18 and Oban 18 will come back too.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is Tali 18 back in circulation for the US? That **** is grail status. I talked to someone from Diageo in Nov at a whisky festival and he had no clue when it was going to return.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'd have to agree. I've had a... lot of SMS but ultimately I find myself rebuying QC, HP18, and Talisker 10yr constantly to have everyday. Of course, I have a bunch of 25+ yr, rare, out of production, from defunct denim mill type **** sitting in storage waiting for a special occasion to crack open. I just hope I'm not like 80yrs old with a failing liver by the time I get around to it.
Nice. I haven't had the talisker or hp18. What's it like? I swear if another friend recommends me a syrupy sherry sweet macallan type scotch i'm gonna start smashing bottles over heads. I've had QC a few times and enjoy it but don't have a bottle of it. I need to get another bottle i really like though before i just rip through my lagavulin16 Give me something good

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
chronoaug, get the official bottle of Bowmore 12.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Nice. I haven't had the talisker or hp18. What's it like? I swear if another friend recommends me a syrupy sherry sweet macallan type scotch i'm gonna start smashing bottles over heads. I've had QC a few times and enjoy it but don't have a bottle of it. I need to get another bottle i really like though before i just rip through my lagavulin16

Give me something good

Alex, you can probably skip just about every Speyside malt then. I think you'd enjoy the Talisker quite a bit... definitely has the richness and peatiness... but also salt and brine. If you want to explore the darker side of Islay, you can pick up the Ardbeg Uigeadail or Laphroaig 10yr CS.

IMO, there's a higher risk of buying a bottle you don't like with the other Islay distilleries (Bunnahabhain, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Caol Ila, etc)... it really depends on what bottlings are available to you... actually, I should know what is available to you. I was at Federal (near Faneuil Hall) not that long ago... cool but weird shop. Had the most Blackadder indy bottles I've ever seen in a store in the U.S.

Originally Posted by Aaron01
Is Tali 18 back in circulation for the US? That **** is grail status. I talked to someone from Diageo in Nov at a whisky festival and he had no clue when it was going to return.

It's like the McRib of Scotch... only a million times better. This is the 2nd or 3rd time in recent history Diageo pulled the 18yr and then brought it back in limited quantities.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It's cute how alex is into scotch.

lol8[1].gif
@ mcrib, now I gotta pick up a bottle

chronoaug

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
It's cute how alex is into scotch.

lol8[1].gif
@ mcrib, now I gotta pick up a bottle

hey, at least i'm not the one hyping up buying bottles of 10yr and qc frog
wink.gif

Bacon- Haven't been there. I head there was a solid place in back bay that had good scotch list and even did like $4 half ounce pours or something which may be worth it. Normally, i just grab a bottle at one of the 2 stores near me that have a really good selection and split it with chronogal.

I haven't disliked all the speysides i've had. I do enjoy balvenie12 doublewood. Much more pleasant than the macallan for me. Oban14 i've had and its ok as it's at a ton of bars in boston but not something i'd feel like buying a bottle of. The ardberg i think 10 or 14 (can't remember) i remember enjoying.

Haven't had the laphroaig cs. Only 10yr and qc. Almost bought some caol illa before i ended up with the balvenie a few weeks ago. The doublewood was on sale though so was hard to resist

wait. are you living in boston area now?

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're kind of all over the place. Seems like the only thing you don't like are the sherry bombs. I'd pick up just about anything that's been recommended on this page. Your Back Bay spot sounds like a good option... build your own flight. Just don't start with Ardbeg.

Originally Posted by chronoaug
wait. are you living in boston area now?

Nah (and last winter guaranteed that'll never happen)... but all sorts of obligations bring us back pretty frequently. More than I care for.

darnold

Reaction score
Mostly a bunch of indy Brora and PE. Also a couple Glenugies I unearthed while traveling. A few low end bottles of things people are familiar with but circa 1990. I don't know... haven't gone through the stash lately. Nothing too baller (ala early 70's Ardbegs).

As far as I am concerned, anything with PE on the label is pretty baller status. My favorite glass of scotch ever was, if memory serves, a 1979 PE stashed somewhere and bottled in the 2000s. Fundamentals of a good Bruich with an abyss more complexity. *swoon*.

chronoaug

Reaction score
You're kind of all over the place. Seems like the only thing you don't like are the sherry bombs. I'd pick up just about anything that's been recommended on this page. Your Back Bay spot sounds like a good option... build your own flight. Just don't start with Ardbeg.

Nah (and last winter guaranteed that'll never happen)... but all sorts of obligations bring us back pretty frequently. More than I care for.

Well, i'll try pretty much anything when friends have bottles and are offering which is why it's all over the place. I like a little variety in the cabinet at home but generally settle into the more peaty stuff.

Yea, this last winter was rough but the one a year ago was ridiculously mild. 1-2 snow storms and spring seemed to come early. Just take the plunge and dive into the cambridge area or something
cheers.gif

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would like some suggestions on the top 5 quality Scotch's you guys would want to see in restaurant/bistro type place?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads