• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
My peasant status scotch buys:

laph qc
laph cs
hp 18

set aside for me at my local spot

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
those are like the APC new standards of whisky

Waistcoat

Reaction score
Well we ended up with some terrible cigars courtesy of my friend not doing his job on his day off and getting our supply. We got there after I finished work only to find it closed, so we ended up with some terrible atrocities we got at the local liqour store, yech. We ended up going with the Dalwhinne and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The best thing was I discovered at the place I bought it they were selling laph 10yo for $56 a bottle ($10 cheaper than the Dal and pretty much cheaper than everything bar Glenlivet and fiddich), I'll be going back for that!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
those are like the APC new standards of whisky

at uniqlo prices, the qc was virtually free
lol8[1].gif

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have to agree. I've had a... lot of SMS but ultimately I find myself rebuying QC, HP18, and Talisker 10yr constantly to have everyday.

Of course, I have a bunch of 25+ yr, rare, out of production, from defunct denim mill type **** sitting in storage waiting for a special occasion to crack open. I just hope I'm not like 80yrs old with a failing liver by the time I get around to it.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
Of course, I have a bunch of 25+ yr, rare, out of production, from defunct denim mill type **** sitting in storage waiting for a special occasion to crack open.

Such as? (Read: pics please)

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mostly a bunch of indy Brora and PE. Also a couple Glenugies I unearthed while traveling. A few low end bottles of things people are familiar with but circa 1990. I don't know... haven't gone through the stash lately. Nothing too baller (ala early 70's Ardbegs).

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
V, how different is Laph QC over the standard 10?

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
QC doesn't have a specified age. People think it may be 8 years, but the 10 year is all 10 year. Sort of like the difference between a vintage and non-vintage bottle of champagne. I think also the QC is a blend.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
V, how different is Laph QC over the standard 10?

Haven't picked it up yet I just got it bc it was 35 bux, supposed to be more peaty than smokey since it ages more rapidly than in the normal cask. Personally I really enjoy regular L10.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhc905
QC doesn't have a specified age. People think it may be 8 years, but the 10 year is all 10 year. Sort of like the difference between a vintage and non-vintage bottle of champagne. I think also the QC is a blend.
QC has no age statement, but it is speculated that it is between 5-8yrs. When drinking, it has the characteristics of a whisky that has been aged longer but if you buy into the smaller cask/more surface area/quicker maturing theory (which I do), it makes sense. It is also bottled at 48% ABV. It's still a single malt. The 10yr is bottled at 40% ABV for the standard and 50+ for the CS (obviously). In general terms, the QC has less smoke but much more of the peaty/earthiness to it (a benefit of the youth of the whisky)... but really, this would be comparing 3 different whiskies. QC is the one Laphroaig you can drink everyday. The 10yr CS is what you finish a long evening with. The 40% 10yr is what you get when you're a broke college student.
laugh.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Is that the equivalent or worse than someone who buys a $29.99 humidor?

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh ****, it's on!

Seriously though, we should combine forces. Everyone will win.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
hahahahahhaaa

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads