1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Cue ama as well.

If you're an Ardbeg hypebeast and blindly collect them all, then yeah, buy it. Buy the Committee Release. Buy the General Release. Sadly, I am describing myself and am ashamed of all the money I've thrown at LVMH.

Anyway, if you're curious, my opinion is that it is a mildly interesting Ardbeg expression but overall an immature product.

If you're a fan of Ardbeg but don't buy into the marketing bullshit, take that money and buy two oogies instead. I wish I could take my own advice.

Disclaimer: I've been drinking, but you know what they say... drunk words are sober thoughts. BTW jet, sorry I forgot to call you last Monday but I was pretty badly hungover... bad enough where I had to stay an extra day.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. ama

ama Senior member

This. Or spend a few extra bucks and get a Corry and a Oogie.

Regarding Alligator, I've had both the regular and the committee. They are the same, so definitely don't spend more for the committee. Its has a little more oak, char and vanilla than a standard Ardbeg, but not enough to warrant the cost. I also agree with Bacon that it tastes very, very young. I think this whisky would be incredible if they left it in the barrels another decade or so, though I don't see that happening. K&L is full of shit when they write that, "The resulting whisky is something completely unique and straddles the line between American Whiskey and Single Malt," it does no such thing. Maybe in a decade, but not now.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. jet

jet Senior member

No stress, we didn't end up going anyway.

Next time bruva, next time. I got some smokes with your name on them.

4. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

Thanks for the opinions - I guess I'll skip it and put the money towards something more matured/interesting.

5. ama

ama Senior member

Sounds like a good idea, though young ≠ uninteresting necessarily.

6. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

lol. ardberg hypebeast :laugh:

7. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

^ really good stuff... the very definition of smooth single malt...

though I have to say that lately I've been into more peaty stuff... Talisker and Laphroaig anyone... :slayer:

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Any ideas where the cheapest place i can get a Glen Levit 21 from?

9. likeaboss

likeaboss Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm just starting to get into and learn about scotch.

So far I've had:
    - Glenfiddich 12
    - Talisker 10
    - Glenlivet 12

I actually liked all of them, but I don't think I have enough experience yet to decide what I like and what I don't like.

I'm heading to a whisky and wine bar tonight, and I'm afraid I won't be able to decide what to try! Any recommendations off their menu?

- http://thebothy.ca/content/whisky-bothy

10. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

It depends what sort of stuff you're looking for. I'd probably try the Oban 14, the Lagavulin 16 (that'll let you know if you like peat or not), Macallan 12 is a good go to scotch for a starter. The Highland Park is good too. I'd go as old as your wallet can bear, although I doubt if the 30 is really twice as good as the 25. Ardbeg is nice too if you like the peaty stuff. The supernova is very good IMO and not too expensive (relatively speaking).

Enjoy!

11. likeaboss

Thanks for the quick response!

12. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

If having multiple drams, make sure your Macallans and Obans are early in the evening and end the night with your Lagavulins and Ardbegs.

But really, doesn't sound like you can go wrong. You've had 3 common whiskies out of an almost limitless number of expressions and liked them all equally it sounds like. Order whatever you want tonight and try to make it out to an organized single malt tasting sometime.

13. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

My local Costco had Lagavulin 16 for only $53/bottle...you guys should jump on it if you can.

I ended up buying two bottles despite already having one at home that is 2/3 full.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  14. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

Sure. How'd it go?

15. jet

jet Senior member

I need to go to costco to see if mine has them.

16. likeaboss

Dinner plans got changed and we didn't end up going but the restaurant is on my list to go to ASAP. When I do, I'll post back. Until then I've saved your recommendations.

17. jet

jet Senior member

Been a rough day, going to pour some oogie and spark up a corona especial or a p short in a few.

18. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

[​IMG]
    present from a kind friend

19. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Can't get over how cheap Scotch is over here, considering how expensive everything else under the sun is. Talisker 10 is under $30'ish and the 18 is about $80, Lag 16 is under $50ish if the yen is not crazy like it's been lately.