Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Nice on the Murray McDavid, just finished my MM like last week, I'm less a fan of Tobermory though. I wonder how the MM casking is.

Funny you should ask as I tried it last night. Really not sure what o make of it TBH. I really don't. It is on the one hand interesting and complex and on the other...just kind of like a not too good Highland Park.
    Only had a small dram though. Didn't try it with water so maybe...it needed...something?

Anyway, I wasn't going to be drinking it all the time. I think though, no matter how good it tasted, due to the rarity and finding it overseas etc, having it in my bar would give me more pleasure than it ever would qua drink, if that makes sense.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

^why would you buy then ask? [​IMG]

4. ama

ama Senior member

Picked up a bottle of Caol Ila 18 today. Any good?

Interesting pick up. Thats not so easy to find. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but its not a bad bottle.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

^why would you buy then ask? [​IMG]
    Got it on the cheap off somebody who had already bought it and decided they didn't want it. For $60 I thought it was worth a shot. Plus, a big name 18 yr old is bound to be at least decent.

6. ama

ama Senior member

Got it on the cheap off somebody who had already bought it and decided they didn't want it. For $60 I thought it was worth a shot. Plus, a big name 18 yr old is bound to be at least decent.

That explains how you got it then. It hasn't been on the market in the past couple years in the US.

7. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

A bit late, but I just tried the Yamazaki 12. It was really really sweet, fruity, and floral. A really nice beginner whisky for those who don't enjoy peats, methinks. Not terribly complex, but very smooth.

8. Waistcoat

Waistcoat Well-Known Member

A bit late, but I just tried the Yamazaki 12. It was really really sweet, fruity, and floral. A really nice beginner whisky for those who don't enjoy peats, methinks. Not terribly complex, but very smooth.

Yamazaki 12 goes for as much as a bottle of Ardbeg 10 in Australia. For $85 I'd rather not waste my money on something smooth and lacking complexity. What's the justification for such a high price?

9. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Yamazaki 12 goes for as much as a bottle of Ardbeg 10 in Australia. For $85 I'd rather not waste my money on something smooth and lacking complexity. What's the justification for such a high price?

Apples and oranges...

10. jobro

jobro Senior member

Get used to it or start importing. Alcohol taxes in Australia are extremely high. It's cheaper, in many cases, to buy spirits overseas and pay around $30 duty per 700ml than pay Australian prices. E.G El Dorado Rum 15yr, $35 for the bottle, ~$35 for the shipping, and ~$30 for duty for a total of $100 as apposed to $130 at nicks.com.au In some cases it depends on how much that $30 means to you and whether you would rather pick it up from a store but often for me I can't even find products such as Fee Brothers bitters and ED rum in B&M stores.

11. Waistcoat

Waistcoat Well-Known Member

Do you have any good sites in that regard Jobro? Tried to buy Ardbeg from Scotland, the shipping cost killed it though.

12. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

$130 for ED15. Fuck. I paid $30 and that's high in relation to some of guys in other states.

13. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

$130 for ED15. Fuck. I paid $30 and that's high in relation to some of guys in other states.
    Yeah that is pretty wild. My store recently had it on sale for $26ish. Other then that, I normally see it for around $30ish.

14. jobro

jobro Senior member

Do you have any good sites in that regard Jobro? Tried to buy Ardbeg from Scotland, the shipping cost killed it though.
    I actually have a hookup in the US but if you're keen on buying 6 bottles at a time, shipping works out at $25 a bottle at http://www.drinkupny.com, which is a very good deal considering that USPS charge around $35 to ship a single bottle. Would be great if you made an order with a friend.

A while ago I found a store that shipped single bottles at decent prices but I cannot find it as I haven't needed such a service for some time.

15. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Having some macallan 12 now. Aberlour A'bunadh later.

[​IMG]