Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Jokerman

Jokerman Senior member

Can anyone school me on Glenlivet? I found an old tin while looking for glass in my grandparents cupboard and it said Glenfiddich. Inside was a bottle that said "The Glenlivet 12 Years old." I tried to find a date on it but couldn't. Im not big on whiskey but would like to learn about this.

2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

The oogy. There is no question.

going to add to my list. the 10 has become my daily drinker. bow before baconknowledge.

3. darnold

darnold Senior member

so having tried the ardbeg supernova at a friend's house last week i went to try and get hold of some.. turns out it's pretty difficult. i was offered the corryvreckan instead, which i might pick up- anyone care to recommend any other readily available options?
    Definitely not readily available, but in that price range with a nice heavy peat I'd highly recommend PC5 or PC6. Somewhat young, but both belie their age in complexity and are absolute fucking chameleons in the glass. One drop of water and you've got an entirely different profile. Two - is this even the same drink? Fun. Edit to add: Not a replacement for the Ardbegs. That said, anything with >80ppm might be interesting but IMHO more gimmick than anything. Every once in a while I'll feel like something that punchy but it will never have the kind of balance and staying power of a more reasonable (but still very smoky) 40-60ppm.

4. darnold

darnold Senior member

On another note, I tried some Springbank 10yr yesterday - it was very good, despite being served at warmer than room temperature.

If you liked the Springbank 10, you might try tracking down a bottle of Murray McDavid Springbank 9. Not my favorite scotch in my collection, but I'm not an enormous Springbank fan. What it does have is far and away the most awesome nose of any scotch I currently own. I could sit for hours just smelling that stuff.

5. ama

ama Senior member

Definitely not readily available, but in that price range with a nice heavy peat I'd highly recommend PC5 or PC6. Somewhat young, but both belie their age in complexity and are absolute fucking chameleons in the glass. One drop of water and you've got an entirely different profile. Two - is this even the same drink? Fun.

Edit to add: Not a replacement for the Ardbegs. That said, anything with >80ppm might be interesting but IMHO more gimmick than anything. Every once in a while I'll feel like something that punchy but it will never have the kind of balance and staying power of a more reasonable (but still very smoky) 40-60ppm.

Supernova is not that hard to get. Just a little expensive...http://www.dandm.com/product_info.ph...527&cat=scotch

The PC series is very good, but if you want something on par with Supernova you have to look to Octomore. http://www.dandm.com/product_info.ph...049&cat=scotch

Note: these are cheaper elsewhere, but D&M is very good.

6. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

x-poast

[​IMG]

7. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

just about to pour some more Aberlour 16

8. jobro

jobro Senior member

Can anyone school me on Glenlivet? I found an old tin while looking for glass in my grandparents cupboard and it said Glenfiddich. Inside was a bottle that said "The Glenlivet 12 Years old." I tried to find a date on it but couldn't. Im not big on whiskey but would like to learn about this.

Whiskey does not age in it's bottle.

9. ama

ama Senior member

10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Any duty free only releases I should look for tomorrow?

11. Alter

Alter Senior member

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Any duty free only releases I should look for tomorrow?
    Johnnie Walker Double Black.

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I had some Laphroaig Triple Wood that was interesting a duty free product, but not sure if that's still around. A decent replacement for QC.

14. flyguy7

flyguy7 Senior member

forgive my newbism to the scotch world, what does duty free mean?

15. Mesta

Mesta Senior member

currently in my bar :

ardbeg 10y (the one that I drink the most.)
    lagavulin 16y
    glenlivet 15y french reserve
    talisker 10y