Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

ardbeg supernova last night. im no expert but i knew i liked peaty islays- laphroaig and lagavulin. this stuff seemed like a more potent hit of peat and smoke. not for everyone but i thought it was phenomenal

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

triple cross post

scotch and cigar filled weekend, lagavulin saturday and laph10 yesterday

lifestyle pic
    [​IMG]

3. jobro

jobro Senior member

[​IMG] http://inebrio.com/thescotchblog/?p=1491 http://www.amazon.com/101-Whiskies-T...7693837&sr=8-1 Anyone have this or know if their list is any good?
    From both the customer and editorial reviews it sounds like this might be worth picking up. The only book I have on whiskey is a book called World Whiskey and it is a decent read. About an inch thick with plenty of tasting notes and nice pictures as well guides to glasses, bottles sizes/shapes, how whiskey is made and where various whiskeys come from. It includes 700+ notes on primarily scotch but includes Irish, Rye, Bourbon, Tennessee, Asian, and boutique brand whiskey. It's on special for $10 on Amazon.

4. ama

ama Senior member

From both the customer and editorial reviews it sounds like this might be worth picking up.

The only book I have on whiskey is a book called World Whiskey and it is a decent read. About an inch thick with plenty of tasting notes and nice pictures as well guides to glasses, bottles sizes/shapes, how whiskey is made and where various whiskeys come from. It includes 700+ notes on primarily scotch but includes Irish, Rye, Bourbon, Tennessee, Asian, and boutique brand whiskey. It's on special for $10 on Amazon.

David Broom new book "The World Atlas of Whisky: More Than 300 Expressions Tasted" is very good. I highly recommend it.

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

Alright guys need your help on my next bottle,

Ardbeg 10 or uigeadail?

6. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Alright guys need your help on my next bottle,

Ardbeg 10 or uigeadail?

The oogy. There is no question.

7. jet

jet Persian Bro

Done, was hoping you'd chime in.

Will cop tomorrow.

8. ama

ama Senior member

Done, was hoping you'd chime in.

Will cop tomorrow.

What Bacon said, not even close.

9. jet

jet Persian Bro

^thanks

[​IMG]

10. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

nice .. &lt;3 the Talisker and Ardbeg

11. darnold

darnold Senior member

I'm now in my 5th bottle of the Gordon Macphail HP 8yo, counting two I've given away. Best bang for your buck in the world of scotch right now, hands down - and I never feel bad serving this to friends.

12. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I'm now in my 5th bottle of the Gordon Macphail HP 8yo, counting two I've given away. Best bang for your buck in the world of scotch right now, hands down - and I never feel bad serving this to friends.

I went to a dry wedding (read: no open or pay bar... but no mention of not bringing your own booze) on the East Coast last year. The morning of, we stopped by a CVS with a rather large liquor store next door. I popped in and saw they had the G&M HP 8yr on sale for $24. The lady and I smuggled the bottle in in her bag and left it under our table during the reception. About an hour later, I was everyone's best friend.

13. flyguy7

flyguy7 Senior member

I has some Johnnie Walker black last night. Tasted like jack daniels with less sting.

14. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

so having tried the ardbeg supernova at a friend's house last week i went to try and get hold of some.. turns out it's pretty difficult. i was offered the corryvreckan instead, which i might pick up- anyone care to recommend any other readily available options?

15. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

I has some Johnnie Walker black last night. Tasted like jack daniels with less sting.

What?! I know each person tastes things differently, but I don't know man. Jack Daniels goes down like water, and by that I mean it's light-bodied, vanilla-y, and sweet. Not much else going on - it isn't dry/oaky, smoky, or anything. Very mellow, easy to drink, appeal to the masses type whiskey. Johnnie Black, on the other hand, is very smoky (relative to Jack), has a bit more heavy-bodied, and from what I recall, has a fair bit more burn. Neither is "harsh," but Johnnie Black is a lot less "easy drinking" than Jack from what I recall.

On another note, I tried some Springbank 10yr yesterday - it was very good, despite being served at warmer than room temperature.