• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe, or my liquor store is just a ripoff.

Actually I think it was the 18. I couldn't imagine liquor prices here being higher than where you live. We have a lower cost of living and the lowest liquor tax in the country.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
The aftertaste is kind of acidic but that might just be because I had a coffee/espresso before I poured a glass (dumb, I know, but I was too excited to wait an hour or two).

Just drink some club soda n00b, the bubbles scrub your tongue

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Japan haul today, can't wait to get into these:
2054k8o.jpg
The Murray McDavid is a Bowmore 1999 done in Chateau D'Yquem casks, and the other two are Hakushu heavily peated, and Karuizawa 17yr single malt.
devil.gif

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice...
jc, wassup with the JLC table?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
thats what i wanna know, thats my ish

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
that's the other Japan purchase along for the ride in the pic there. I opened the Bowmore and the Hakushu last night, th Bowmore is great. For being 10 years old, it's got tons of complexity, a lot more than the official 12, and some tropical fruit notes that I got when I was drinking that 1968 Bowmore last month. Very nice buy

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I wish my dad liked real liquor instead of soju so I wouldn't feel as bad about koppin' some good single malts

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
this is my modest collection so far, still have at least this many I want to add:
moqyq.jpg

Mr T

Reaction score
Any opinions on Scapa 16 year? I had not heard of this distiller until this week.

billsayers

Reaction score
Bought a Glenlivet Portfolio set for $99 at my local Costco.

Comes in a decent looking wooden case and includes 750 mL bottles of the 12, 15 and 18 year old versions.

Went drinking at a beach bar last night and discovered I prefer Macallan Sherry Oak over the Fine Oak version.

jobro

Reaction score
Was gifted a bottle of Wemyss Peat Chimney 5YO blend today. Anyone know much about it? Looks okay but I can't seem to find much online and I'm not quite sure if I should open/keep it or pass it on.

billsayers

Reaction score
Went to Seven Grand in downtown Los Angeles last night.

Drank the following in neat fashion:
  • Springbank 10 - really enjoyed the smokiness and lasting finish, will be the next bottle I pick up
  • Yamazaki 12 - tasted a bit like rubbing alcohol to me, will not drink again
  • Glenfiddich 18 - I think I prefer the 12 more, the 18 had too much wood taste
  • Laphroaig 10 - I had it before and I remember why I didn't like it the first time around, way too much peat flavor for me

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billsayers
Went to Seven Grand in downtown Los Angeles last night.

Drank the following in neat fashion:

• Yamazaki 12 - tasted a bit like rubbing alcohol to me, will not drink again

Never got rubbing alcohol from it, I do pick up on the dark fruit notes in the finish though. I actually like the Yamazaki 12, it's a little more.....boring(?), than Scotch, but it's a very nice drink nonetheless. Not saying you're wrong or anything, this just my experience

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Never got rubbing alcohol from it, I do pick up on the dark fruit notes in the finish though. I actually like the Yamazaki 12, it's a little more.....boring(?), than Scotch, but it's a very nice drink nonetheless. Not saying you're wrong or anything, this just my experience

I agree with you, the 12 year old Yamazaki is an interesting whiskey, even if it doesn't blow the doors off. There are many more multi-dimensional whiskies out there, but again, for the price, it's a decent enough whiskey. Save your money and don't buy the 18 year old though, I found it too "hot" and would take the 12 year old over the 18 all day long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads