Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. jussumguy

jussumguy Well-Known Member

Seven Grand. I've heard good things about that place

It was ok. Vibe-wise, pretty much like any other Downtown/Hollywood bar (not a big fan of that whole scene, personally). But they served me my favorite scotch thus far, so what can I say. I'll probably go back on a weekday, which I hear is less "scenester"-y.

2. jet

jet Persian Bro

^any worthwhile females?

3. jussumguy

^any worthwhile females?

Let's just say it looked like there were lots of great personalities there that night.

I'm sure they're great people but for a downtown bar, the level of attractiveness of the women there was surprisingly low. Almost noticeably so. Maybe it was just one of those nights though.

But hey, we're all beautiful in our own way right?

4. jet

jet Persian Bro

That's why I asked, would be surprising if there were at a whiskey bar. My cousin has gone a couple of times in the past year or so but I was never able to make it. There are quite a large number of attractive females roaming the streets of downtown any given night however.

5. jussumguy

That's why I asked, would be surprising if there were at a whiskey bar. My cousin has gone a couple of times in the past year or so but I was never able to make it. There are quite a large number of attractive females roaming the streets of downtown any given night however.

Yup. That's why I was so surprised when I walked in there. I mean, there were a lot of women in there. They just weren't all that attractive.

But like I said, all beautiful, own ways...

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Picked this up today at the package store, looking forward to trying it..

[​IMG]

7. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

I am drinking a Nikka Whisky 10-year Old Yoichi right now. Great balance of smokiness, peatiness and sweetness.

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I've been to several whisk(e)y bars on both coasts and on other continents... always a sausage fest concept. The few (insanely bored) women are there with their dudes.

9. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Well, that was interesting. back to back: Ri rye and Yamazaki 12 yr. Ri was a civilized rye, but still raw american rye. Yamazaki, scotch from Japan, was like Japan repro denim: a perfect, too perfect, recreation of scotch, crystalline smokey golden scotch. Gotta say, though, my favorite was the taste the Bookstore's bartender gave me of Booker's Bourbon: a Wild Turkey's Wild Turkey of a bourbon, great taste once past the 63% alcohol burn. Great stuff.

10. ama

ama Senior member

[​IMG]

This is excellent, one of my favorites for the money.

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

[​IMG]

Got a bottle of Springbank 10 for my SF Secret Santa. Not going to lie to you, I love it.

[​IMG]

12. Waistcoat

Waistcoat Well-Known Member

I tried an Ardbeg Blasda last night as the restaurant had a few decent scotches on their menu. My first Islay and I loved it, but I was wondering if that was it as far as the peat was concerned. Then I read it's actually less peated then the 10 yo Ardbeg, so I'm looking forward to trying an Ardbeg/Laphroig/Lagavulin now. I must say though, it was VERY different from the other Highland/Speysides that I've tried. The mouthfeel was kind of oily, and on the tongue about halfway through it felt like there was this strong kind of &quot;build up&quot; I don't know how else to describe it, that would limit me to a couple of drams at the most.

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I've been to several whisk(e)y bars on both coasts and on other continents... always a sausage fest concept. The few (insanely bored) women are there with their dudes.

lol. Add in good cocktail making and the women come, that's all you gotta do. I've seen so much fine trim at that bar I drink at, and women love to go there if a guy is paying, since the mixed drinks crest twenty bucks. I took Ant there and we watched a washed-up Korean actress make out with two nerdy looking guys in alternation at the bar sitting next to us as each guy took turns passing out - they'd been taking shots of black absinthe all night.

14. CaesarSTL

CaesarSTL Senior member

What is this thread doing on page 3? Bumping back to the top as I enjoy a glass of Bowmore 12 yr that I got as a Christmas present from the gf's father. Pretty good stuff for a not too expensive Islay, not the awesome peat of the Ardbeg 10 or the complexities of the Lagavulin 16 that I recently went through, but I'm happy with it!

Jared,

15. ama

ama Senior member

I tried an Ardbeg Blasda last night as the restaurant had a few decent scotches on their menu. My first Islay and I loved it, but I was wondering if that was it as far as the peat was concerned. Then I read it's actually less peated then the 10 yo Ardbeg, so I'm looking forward to trying an Ardbeg/Laphroig/Lagavulin now. I must say though, it was VERY different from the other Highland/Speysides that I've tried. The mouthfeel was kind of oily, and on the tongue about halfway through it felt like there was this strong kind of "build up" I don't know how else to describe it, that would limit me to a couple of drams at the most.

Blasda is vastly different than most Islay. Its interesting, but after finishing the bottle I had I'm not rushing to replace it. You nailed the oily mouthfeel though.