• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted, and where you will find more and more great sales posted as Black Friday approacheds, HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any One for a Scotch?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trying out Glenallachie today. Owner used to be Master distiller at Glendronach. Uses exclusively PX/Oloroso casks I think

reidd

Reaction score
Trying out Glenallachie today. Owner used to be Master distiller at Glendronach. Uses exclusively PX/Oloroso casks I think
What did you think? I'm a big fan of the stuff myself. A great little under the radar distillery.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What did you think? I'm a big fan of the stuff myself. A great little under the radar distillery.
It needed some air (new bottle), but after that was pretty good. I had the 10 year Cask Strength.

Was either going to get that or the Tamdhu Cask Strength

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a sucker for the marketing, but I am really interested in Glenmorangie's "Tale of Cake" release. Anyone try this yet? The MSRP of $90 to $100 seems a little rich for something like this, but I will probably make this my weekend pick up this week..

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a sucker for the marketing, but I am really interested in Glenmorangie's "Tale of Cake" release. Anyone try this yet? The MSRP of $90 to $100 seems a little rich for something like this, but I will probably make this my weekend pick up this week..

Also curious although the advertising is a bit... heavy. At worst, Glenmorangie is good but unremarkable - but I often really like their stuff.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried it, and yeah, I’d recommend you find this at a bar and try it there first (get in and get out fast of course) because I’m not sure I’d pay the price again. It’s good, but not $100 good. For that price I’d probably buy the Quinta Ruban and keep the change. Again, it’s an interesting whiskey and well worth trying, but just overpriced IMO

92BA164E-4F1D-45F4-8A20-525E5791FBCF.jpeg

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I tried it, and yeah, I’d recommend you find this at a bar and try it there first (get in and get out fast of course) because I’m not sure I’d pay the price again. It’s good, but not $100 good. For that price I’d probably buy the Quinta Ruban and keep the change. Again, it’s an interesting whiskey and well worth trying, but just overpriced IMO

View attachment 1482782
Good to know thanks - disappointing but not surprising. It just seems too marketing-driven, like they're adding $30 - $40 per bottle because of some marketing guy's fun idea for a name and label. (What, nobody ever does that!)

Also, they already have the Nectar d'Or with Sauternes and that is good stuff.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know thanks - disappointing but not surprising. It just seems too marketing-driven, like they're adding $30 - $40 per bottle because of some marketing guy's fun idea for a name and label. (What, nobody ever does that!)

Also, they already have the Nectar d'Or with Sauternes and that is good stuff.
This was going to be my comment at the very start of this Glenmorangie convo. It seems they are great at marketing, but I’ve not found them to deliver great results. I do like the Signet, but only because I got it dirt cheap, if I had paid sticker I would not have been happy.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This was going to be my comment at the very start of this Glenmorangie convo. It seems they are great at marketing, but I’ve not found them to deliver great results. I do like the Signet, but only because I got it dirt cheap, if I had paid sticker I would not have been happy.
to be fair, the Quinta Ruban is one of my favorite single malts under $100 easily. I keep a few bottles handy at all times and find it an amazing value

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's