• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any One for a Scotch?

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some special friends visiting and also a personal celebration 🎉 are the occasion for which this excellent dram shall be enjoyed!

932DD530-2EE7-4BB2-B401-963004987AB5.jpeg
CB3BE091-2BA8-4D86-903A-F8CAC36F10DE.jpeg

Happy Thursday Lads!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you are breaking them out for, I suppose.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recs for dipping into some specialties for my 40th bday? I have a bottle that was made on my actual birthday that I think I'm saving for my 50th, but I'm thinking maybe a Kavalan solist or perhaps a sherry aged Springbank. I lean less peat so Springbank is a happy medium for me. Maybe a Glendronach 21 if I still have one?

I always hesitate to open a bottle I'm saving. When I sort of stumbled on collecting and saw some real gains it becomes difficult to part with. Even more so that I am buying less these days.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Port Charlotte was good. Maybe a tad overproof. Never made it to the Kavalan. Instead had a Springbank 15 which I though was better than the Port Charlotte. It was more balance between grass/sweet/smoky and much more to my liking.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Springbank 15 is a favorite although I am concerned the price has recently been jacked up quite a ways.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Kavalan lives up to the hype. Big notes of cherry and marzipan. Sweet cherry and nuts. Very unique, even for a sherry cask. Little to no sulfur. Cough medicine-like, perfect sweetness and cherry. Just fantastic. Little dry and short on the finish - only complaint.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC regular Kavalan releases are around $30USD at duty-free in TW/HK. I've bought and drank a ton of it, as well as a most of the single casks and special barrels

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.