• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any One for a Scotch?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent again this year. A little weaker but still nice flavors. Perhaps a little too much vanilla for my liking.
IMG_4412.jpg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tasting notes of this aligned with what I tend to like and it was nice. I’ve been stuck on a few dailies for a while so it was a nice change of pace.
D9387111-3551-4118-B877-0510E22CEA22.jpeg

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a Glenfarclas 17 yo over the weekend. I'd finished my bottle of 21 yo earlier this year, and having had the younger Glenfarclas, the 17 yo fits in the middle of those I've tried so looking forward to it. Anybody who has had this, let me know what you think.

reidd

Reaction score
Glenfarclas is great throughout the range. My favorite was the old 15 year which has been discontinued (in the US at least). I have had the 25 but not the 21. How does the 17 compare to the 21?

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glenfarclas is great throughout the range. My favorite was the old 15 year which has been discontinued (in the US at least). I have had the 25 but not the 21. How does the 17 compare to the 21?
Haven't popped it open yet, but when I do, will report back.

Sad to see that Glendronach no longer seems to be releasing its Revival, which was easily in my top 3 Holiday season single malts..

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best $50-ish bottle available in the US? Doesn’t matter if blended. Had some stuff from Compass Box a few years ago that was good. I’m more of a bourbon and rye guy, but will have some discerning scotch drinkers over during the holidays and would like something decent on hand. Thanks.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't imaging you'd find much complaints showing up with Laphroaig 10. I also REALLY like Talisker's entry level offering, though that is usually more often found at about $60.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some good cheap scotch selections can be had at Costco or Total Wine as well. Total Wine can point you in the right direction with their staff. Costco you need more knowledge on what to look for. Just about any store will not judge you by asking for a decent selection under $50. Trust me, I probably get more looks by buying an $80 or $90 bottle than the people looking for cheap stuff get.

reidd

Reaction score
Glengoyne 12 and Edrador 10 are around $50 and are great if you can find them.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best $50-ish bottle available in the US? Doesn’t matter if blended. Had some stuff from Compass Box a few years ago that was good. I’m more of a bourbon and rye guy, but will have some discerning scotch drinkers over during the holidays and would like something decent on hand. Thanks.
If it were me, I'd probably choose something that would appeal to the most number of drinkers, and an iodine bomb like Laphroaig probably will only appeal to folks who love iodine bombs. Around here, you can buy Macallan 12 year old or even Glennfiddich 15 year old bourbon cask for that price. That's what I'd go with. A little under $50 will get you Shackleton, which I initially thought was a little gimmicky but turned out to be a damn fine whiskey for the price (around $35)

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s always Johnnie Walker. Just don’t get the Red Label. The rest of the labels are decent enough to most non scotch drinkers.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.