• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@jcman311 that fair all of our tastes change. I started out in the japanese whiskey's (never really left that) and the GlenLevitts and GlenFiddichs. After a while i can't really stand the two Glen's i mentioned, japanese is still smooth and lovely as ever.
Yeah I started out trying everything to dial in what I like. I've found that I have narrowed it down to Highland/Speyside regions mostly. I noticed that I would get really bad hangovers/headaches with just the smallest glass of some of the smokey/peaty single malts. Not something I really desire.

If you care for something similar to the japanese stuff, I would definitely suggest trying some Aberlour. Really nice stuff there. Also try Kavalan as a Taiwan single malt.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm always a fan of Laphroaig cask strength if you like a bold peat profile but with a little less maritime notes than Ardbeg. I think Laphroaig works better above 80 proof, so you can play with it starting at the cask strength.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a less common Islay, try anything from Kilchoman. It's a small independent distillery that uses traditional methods and grows their own barely. Not as smokey as Laphroaig or Ardberg, but it has a very robust, complex flavor profile.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
sup nil how you been fam

Reactions: Nil

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the 10 so i'm sure cask strength will be interesting.

BTW, i don't know if anyone has ever tried a pineapple peat, i had that cocktail at liho limo yacht club (really nice restaurant in san francisco) and it was delicious, haven't had it since but i will start making it at home.

recipe here https://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/pineapple-peat-a-peated-scotch-cocktail/print/44024/
This reminds me of Heston Blumenthal pit-roasted pineapple dessert at Dinner in London (and presumably other locations). I didn't expect much from just a pineapple for dessert after the craziness of the rest but smoke, pineapple, and caramelisation go extremely well together. I still remember it today, but my attempts have not had quite the same success (presumably because a proper caramelisation takes hours).

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_3770.jpg

Good. Great nose, body lacks a little depth (probably the short aging) Good value. I liked the fruitiness of it very much. Had the nose matched the taste it would have been outstanding.

IMG_3771.jpg

This was very good, just lacked a little depth. Nose was ok, palate was decent, nice very long finish that seemed like it would never end. Not a total sherry bomb, but good.

BenjaminZeev

Reaction score
I'm back. While I was out I had the 27 Year Old Laphroaig at a scotch tastings and dinner at my local bar. My friends loved it but what surprised me was the Bowmore Vault Edition 1st release, and the Bowmore 12. Very nice (if not of the same tier). These were/are relatively new to the states.

What Islay releases are people excited about? Anything that is a must hunt down and try?

Edward_Bourn

Reaction score
My favourite district is Isle of Islay. It was the first district I visited back in 2014 when we celebrated my fathers 50th birthday.
My top 5 whisky are Ardbeg Corryvreckan and Uigeadail, Bruichladdich 21 or 22, Bowmore 18 and Oban 14. I'm also a fan of Irish Single Malt. Tomorrow I'm going to visit Ardbeg Embassy in Stockholm for some nice whisky. I've decided to try Glenfiddich "IPA Experiment", Glen Scotia 15 and Tomatin 18 Olosroso Sherry Cask. Sláinte :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads