• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent pickup. Laphroig on the recommendations here and my first Allt-A-Bhainne. Looking forward to trying sometime soon.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's everyone think of those costco branded scotches, I see a 12, 16, 25 year, as well as some blends.

Is this solid value? I wonder who is bottling them.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

junglcmndo

Reaction score
Just a heads up for anyone in PA or close to PA. The fine wine and good spirits store has ardbeg kelpie up and can be ordered if anyone is interested

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's everyone think of those costco branded scotches, I see a 12, 16, 25 year, as well as some blends.

Depends on cost and your tastes. If you are into peaty smoky and all are sherried bottles then you might not like them. Same goes the other way around. With Costco it's hard to determine where the bottles are actually distilled because they are relabeled from an independent bottler.
See comments above. Those are old versions but they come from the same independent bottler and no distillery is named. Only a region. But with that you can get close enough to a particular style if you need. Highlands fruity, Speyside honey, Islay peat, etc etc. The 12, 16, and 25 listed might all come from a different distillery.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wife not let you buy the good stuff??

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wife not let you buy the good stuff??

Separate money, so no, but she would raise an eyebrow at current Scotch prices, and she would be right.

I haven't tried them but they most likely just bug the barrel from one of the famous scotch places and brand it as Kirkland.

I've been sipping it for about a week now, the 12 year blend is meh, for the price, can't complain. The 16 year single is not that impressive for being that old.

Have not tried the other 2 I bought yet.

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been sipping it for about a week now, the 12 year blend is meh, for the price, can't complain. The 16 year single is not that impressive for being that old.

Have not tried the other 2 I bought yet.
If you have a Total Wine nearby I would try there first. Talk to somebody there about what you are looking for. They have some very good off brand stuff for less than $30. It also comes with a guarantee so if you don't like it, you can return the rest of it.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a big drinker though I own a lot of bottles. Haven't finished very many but just finally emptied one. Aberlour 12. By the end my conclusion is it's light and a bit sweet. Very drinkable. A little bitter to my taste. Also seems to taste better to me neat than with water. I still much prefer the a'bunadh though. So expensive here in Auz so will have to see what else is available around here that's not terribly overpriced.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Local BCL was clearing out a bunch of stuff that was originally destined for the Duty free shops. Grabbed two bottles of Lagavulin 16 for 98 Canadian each. They had Macallan Select Oak 1L for $80 but I've never tried it. Skipped.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If you have a Total Wine nearby I would try there first.  Talk to somebody there about what you are looking for.  They have some very good off brand stuff for less than $30.  It also comes with a guarantee so if you don't like it, you can return the rest of it.

******* Virginia, you can only get liquor at ABC. I had to drive to DC's Costco, and I don't plan on doing that very often.

I'd welcome options under $30. This stuff gets outrageous very quickly.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

******* Virginia, you can only get liquor at ABC. I had to drive to DC's Costco, and I don't plan on doing that very often.

I'd welcome options under $30. This stuff gets outrageous very quickly.

Do these even exist?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics