1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I believe the QC is only a 8 year maybe 6. I find it's got all the smoke but it's a bit 'hollow', like no complexity there. If you want that smokey punch then it's good for that. Not a knock, and I'm not an ageist, but just pointing out that the 10 is probably a bit more rounded out.

I've picked up several of their duty free ones for about $70-80 and they're basically the QC plus something. The PX (sherry) was nice.
    https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/28699/laphroaig-px-cask-litre

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

PX is supposed to be good too, yeah. They didn't have any at the store I went to- and the litre of QC was almost double the price of the 10 year which is bonkers. I have an unopened laga 16 sitting on the credenza. Undecided on whether to open it or to exchange it for another bottle of oogy or throw caution to the wind and slurp it down in a couple of weeks.

3. Master-Classter

I thought the QC and 10 were roughly the same price? That seems like a weird discrepancy.

Lag 16's solid too and if you're used to Laphroaig, it might be a nice change. It's smokey but in a different kind of way. And for the price, getting a 16 year bottle is nice. Your call, the Oogie is solid too. I mean Laphroai, Lagavulin, and Ardbeg, all solid drinkers. Can't go wrong with any of them.

4. ama

ama Senior member

If you want to taste some real, unadulterated Laphroaig look for the 2015 Caradias. Its in a green and white tube.

5. jet

jet Senior member

6. ama

ama Senior member

Not much. You still smoking and drinking?

7. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I'm making sure to give myself a merry christmas. Some recent pickups. From left to right. Kavalan Sherry Cask, I thought this was supposed to be a soloist cask but apparently it isnt. Still doesn't look too bad. Ill probably hold to see what the market does, otherwise I've heard these can be hit or miss. Springbank 19 recharred sherry. This looks awesome. Can't wait, but I have a bunch of other Springbank to try before this one.

Dailuaine 9, this one is very good. If you like Glendronach or say older Balvenie, than this is perfect. Very nutty, sherry influenced. High strength. Great QPR as it was only $49.99. The Glenallachie 11 was also only $49.99. This stuff is awesome. It tastes very similar to Aberlour A'bunadh. Some people have said that they cannot taste the difference blind. I think some days I could taste the difference blind, and some days I couldnt. That says a lot for a whisky in my book.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Any opinions on Macallan Edition 2 ?

9. Master-Classter

I saw the Edition 1 and 2 at Astors and was wondering about them as well. Seemed reasonably priced and Macs are usually good. Haven't heard much about them.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Tasted a Pappy Van Winkle 20 year night before last as well as a 15 year. It was very, very good, but not $1500 a bottle good. What did I miss here? I mean, its not 30x better than a bottle of Larceny I have here.

11. Master-Classter

You missed the part when nobody making bourbon 20 years ago could have predicted the demand, all the years when they were overlooked decent bang for buck bourbon at $50, when whiskey came back into vogue, when hipsters showed up, when Anthony Bourdain said they were fantastic, when there was a robbery at the factory, when people started buying them to flip on Craiglist, and more... that's what you missed here. I've taste one of them, I think it was the 15 or something and it was really nice, but sub $100 nice, maybe $150 if things got crazy, but certainly not $1500. Maybe I missed something here?

1 person likes this.
  12. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Nobody ever thought Pappy was worth $1500. The price has been driven entirely by mythology and scarcity for years now.

2 people like this.
  13. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Pappy price is driven by #HYPE

14. dfwcowboy

dfwcowboy Senior member

One of the things that gave me a better appreciation for American and Canadian whiskeys was many years ago when I went to Europe for the first time and realized they were paying exorbitant prices for even the rot gut stuff you wouldn't even use as cleaning solvent here.

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Wow. This market is tulipomania.

16. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Is there anyone actually paying those prices for Pappy who aren't douchebags?

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I don't understand why that makes you a douchebag. It's what the market sets because demand far outstrips supply. Buffalo Trace should do what the Bordeaux wineries finally decided to do in the 90s and jack up prices so they get the revenue instead of some random dudes making a crap ton on the arbitrage. That way they could make more of it.

Prices increase when demand is higher than supply. Why does this make people so angry

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  18. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

The guy who owned the bottles got them as a gift (gets one every year) from a guy he does business with. It's a thank you gift. I suppose its the same as Bordeaux wine, where prices become outrageous in the face of wealthy people and speculators.

What I was told (no clue if its accurate) is that the bottles are released at about 1/2 that price and immediately are jacked up in the aftermarket.

19. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Quite a bit less than half most places. They went for $120, $200, $300 for the 15,20, and 23 respectively around here. You just had no chance of actually getting one.

I'm not sure I'd even pay $300 for the 23 unless I was planning on reselling it.

20. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Angry? Huh?

Listen, I'm suggesting that people paying this kind of money for a bottle simply because "supply" are only doing it because they want their dick/wallet to look bigger. I'm sure there are people who believe that $1500 for a bottle of $200 whiskey is completely reasonable because it's just so good but they're probably the exception. The same goes for wine. I've seen plenty of people buying cases of absurdly priced wine because of the "brand"- they know of two types. Red and white...

Anyway, people buying things simply because they're expensive are shallow douchebags. Have you been on Instragram like, ever?