Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Just got a couple bottles of the KirklandxMacallan 17YO Sherry Cask, this stuff is quite the drink, especially at that price! [​IMG]

2. happy hooligan

happy hooligan Senior member

I'm a big fan of Balvenie Double Wood.... fantastic stuff....

3. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Ok so the other day I had some corn whiskey and it tasted disgusting. I diluted it with water a little but it was still disgusting. Please tell me scotch is not like that.

Also when people say they drink it straight does that include adding water or not?

4. happy hooligan

Ok so the other day I had some corn whiskey and it tasted disgusting. I diluted it with water a little but it was still disgusting. Please tell me scotch is not like that.

Also when people say they drink it straight does that include adding water or not?

Scotch is totally different. I usually just have an ice cube or two in a small glass with my scotch.

5. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Got a Glenlivet 12. Tasted better than that nasty corn whisky shit. Maybe it's an acquired taste?

6. Gilles Deleuze

Gilles Deleuze Member

Got a Glenlivet 12. Tasted better than that nasty corn whisky shit. Maybe it's an acquired taste?

This is only my second post on SF, and I figured I'd make it about something of which I actually have some knowledge (as opposed to, say, style and fashion!). I do think whisky is something of an acquired taste, and if you enjoyed the Glenlivet 12 you're off to a good start. Another one to try is the Highland Park 12, which was my first single malt back in the day. It's different from the Glenlivet, but certainly has a lot of flavor and, in my opinion, it's a great introduction to the sorts of aromas and tastes that a nice whisky can offer. This is perhaps why the late Michael Jackson (no, not that one) called it a great all-around whisky.

7. happy hooligan

by corn whiskey do you mean bourbon?

bourbons come and go as to taste.

8. Waistcoat

Waistcoat Well-Known Member

I'm curious how all the experienced scotch drinkers (and connoisseurs alike) here got to where they are today? Did you start out drinking cheap and nasty stuff mixed with coke and then gradually move onto better stuff, did you discover scotch by accident, did you move to it from other spirits?
    How long did you drink blends for before you jumped into the realm of single malts, and why is your favourite scotch your favourite? At what point did you enjoy scotch so much that you perhaps joined a club/society devoted to all its nuances?

I'm just curious because I am fairly new to the world of scotch, and like wine it seems so ridiculously vast in what it offers. I'm both excited at all there is to try but also somewhat daunted at how pricey it can get. Looking forward to hearing some of your experiences...

9. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

10. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

It all started with a gifted bottle of Johnny Green many moons ago. I hate to say it, but thousands of dollars spent in liquor stores, ebay, whisky conventions, and countless bars, I am where I am today.

My only advice is to find at least a couple friends who are also curious about SMS. Pool your money together and buy an assortment of bottles from the different regions of Scotland*. Plan casual gatherings to do tastings. Use cheap brandy snifters or spend some of your money on Glencairn glasses. Rinse and repeat.

* Or instead of regions, go by flavor profiles like one bottle that's lighter/sweeter, one that's heavily sherried, one that's rich and spicy, and another that's smokey/peaty.

Cost effective, better SMS education, and an overall more enjoyable experience than drinking in whisky bars or going to conventions/festivals.

11. AlarmGuy79

AlarmGuy79 Active Member

I can only afford blends [​IMG]

But they say you should begin with the poor so you can truly appreciate the good.

Secretly I'd prefer the good.

You should do some research. There are plenty of good blends either at or below some of the blends price points.

You could start with a Macallan 12 at $45. Aberfeldy 12 for $35, especially if you are a Dewars fan. Glenlivet, which you will grow to hate as you get into single malts, for ~$40. There are others I could go on with but hopefully you get the drift.

I hope you see this and get a chance to venture out to something remarkable.

12. AlarmGuy79

AlarmGuy79 Active Member

This thread got me thirsty.

Macallan 18 for a nightcap.

13. bullrams

bullrams Senior member

14. Bohdathone

Bohdathone Senior member

Nice avatar bullrams; have you ever tried the JPS scotch?

15. mrhills0146

mrhills0146 Well-Known Member

I always have a Laphroaig (usually 10 yr) in the house - it's a love-it-or-hate-it malt, strong seawater and a &quot;medicinal&quot; quality. No middle ground on this one, but I like it.

Caol Ila is nice too, but to me, the king of the Islay malts is Lagavulin.

Other favorites are Highland Park - great value for the $, and Macallan is always good. 10 yr is a staple. 18 yr is wonderful. I've had the 25 in a restaurant twice, but never sprang for a bottle as it's now over $600 for a bottle...