1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

How would you say the DE compares against Storm? Provided you have tried both, I'm going off the assumption you have.
    Regards,
    Ben

2. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I have not tried Storm. Although I probably should because I rather like the 10yo and the tasting notes seem similar between the two.

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I need more Talisker in my life. The DE is fantastic, but a friend says that he's tried both the 10 year and the DE side by side and wasn't able to tell the difference. The Lagavulin DE is good, too. Almost finished that bottle.

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

i popped open the michters american whiskey and am pretty happy, gonna be a go to bottle for me now.

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I have been really getting into the Glendronach distillery releases for at least the past 6 months. Amazing stuff, and exactly right up my alley in terms of what I am looking for in a whiskey.

Also, ready for it? Ready? Glenfiddich. My local store sold me their only bottle of the Bourbon Barrel release and it was a thing of beauty. Have also been snapping up their limited releases of the 18 year old that appear from time to time (not the garden variety 18s, which are also quite good) as well as the original recipe experiment..

6. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Decided to join the SMWS. You used to get a bottle along with the dues; now that's been reduced to 3 100ml tasters and a welcome pack. A couple of the tasters, all enjoyable:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And picked up some independent bottlings recently too.
    [​IMG]

7. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Not exactly scotch, but Tullamore DEW Phoenix is quite pleasant as a sherried daily drinker. It's bottled at 55%, so it's got pretty good punch and quite a bargain.

8. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

I shudder to think what the LCBO would charge for a bottle of Talisker DE given they charge $100 for Talisker 10.

Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison of Talisker Storm and Talisker 10? I've never tried the Storm as I heard it wasn't as good and it was the same price as 10, but it's now $10 cheaper so I'd be curious to know.

9. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

I have a bottle of Talisker DE and I purchased it from the LCBO. It was a while back now, but I remember it to be in the neighbourhood of $140.

Lagavulin DE is $160 at the LCBO and Oban DE is $140.

They DE releases are rarely available at the LCBO, and when they are, they go quickly.

10. cchen

cchen Senior member

Opened this up last night

[​IMG]

Very strong and alcoholic. A few drops of water really opened it up. Vanilla and fruitcake notes.

2 people like this.
  11. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Senior member

Thanks for the response. I'll just jump to the front of the line and grab a bottle of DE when I find it.

I was just looking at the Taliaker DE, Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength and Cardeais in a large shop in Cinncinnati but already have a couple bottles of Four Roses Private Selections I'm bringing home from my jaunt into Kentucky, so the suitcase is filled. All in time...

12. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

I have a bottle of that Benrinnes but haven't opened it yet. Very curious for your thoughts when you do open it. Have moved from American Whisky to scotch acquisition in the last 6 months to balance the bar. Recent acquisitions include: - Glenfarclas 17, 21 and 25 - Springbank 10, 15, 18 - Glenmorangie Signet - Glendronach 15 Revival - Balvenie Single Barrel 15 Sherry Cask - Caol Ila Distillers Edition The Caol Ila is very interesting. It is finished in muscatel barrels which add a very subtle sweet apple-y note to the smoky spirit. Very different than Lag DE and other sherry finished Islays. Will be a nice summer Islay.

13. LEVOOSH

LEVOOSH Senior member

@Master-ClassterWhat your describing is the reason that age stated Macallan has become so scarce. Age statement? Check. Familiar Name? Check. Appropriately high price? Check. Enough cache that i can impress my friends/colleagues when I take this bottle out? Check.

Scotch producers sell the majority of their product to the masses where tasting notes and profiles are second to the concept of "will the person recognize and appreciate this bottle/" (in concept, not in taste).

Unfortunately, whisky is a trial and error game if you want to learn what you like and/or find value. You can read all the reviews you want but nothing can replace a sip, or in more realistic cases, half a bottle to figure out if something fits your preferred flavour profile. My broader experience has led me back to the various expressions of certain distilleries (see above recent purchases focusing on Farclas, Springbank and Dronach). I try something new now and again but stick with what I know I like or variations on a theme (ie. sherried islays, or lightly peated/salty malts).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I still feel that an age statements has more to do with the transparency of a bottling, essentially product information. Any information that can speak to a bottling's quality is much appreciated. Distinct flavor elements are gained in this process. It also speaks to the extra work that the distillery had to put into aging a particular bottling. The loss of the age statement does signify a drop in quality in the industry for me, as they scramble to meet demand. I understand my idealistic view on age statements represent the minority here, but I feel my point is a fair one.

However, I do agree that the flavor profile should determine someones preference. An age statement won't change a person's palette. If they released some more cask strength NOS bottlings, I would be more than happy to give them a try during this age statement drought.

15. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

The only Talisker I see on the LCBO website (at least right now) is the 10, 25, and Storm. There is also a "Talisker & Craigellachie" blend that could be interesting, but obviously not a single malt.

Have you ever tried Storm?

16. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Talisker DE was the same price as the 10 when I got it at the BCL. I'm 99% sure they had their pricing wrong, though. $99 CAD all in.

17. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Just saw some at the local state store and, at $70, was tempted to pick it up.

18. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

I've never tried Talisker Storm... What are people's experiences with it?

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

It's pretty decent for the price. Toss up for me between that and the 10

20. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I was gonna get some Storm but then I saw this at the store so I had to get it instead.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.