1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Nice, that's an awesome tasting.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Left a bottle of Auchentoshan Springwood at a hidden little hot spring in the Snaefellsnes Peninsula of Iceland. If you can find it, enjoy.

[​IMG]

lefty

4 people like this.
  3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

4. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

That is awesome.

5. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Thoughts on Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or and Balvenie Caribbean Cask? TIY.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Nectar D'Or is pretty unusual, being finished in Sauternes casks. It's really sweet, kind of a dessert scotch if that's a thing. It's a hit or miss taste, I'd probably get a dram at a bar before buying a bottle.

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

Which part confused you?

lefty

8. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Hmmm, good to know, thanks. I'm not sure that level of sweetness if what I want even though it sounds interesting enough.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  9. b1os

b1os Senior member

Has anyone tried the new Laphroaig 15? Reviews are just mediocre. I bought a bottle for 55-60 €. Maybe I'll trade it.
    Also picked up a bottle of Talisker Storm, DoubleWood and Monkey Shoulder for 70-75 €.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  10. Landero

Landero Member

Laproaig is my favoutite brand, but yes , I heard mediocre opinions about the new 15, I did not have the chance to try it yet

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Sherry night. Started with Glenfarclas 15, next was Springbank 15. Topped it off with a dram of Oogie (which I'm sipping right now). Fantastic stuff all around.

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yesterday, smoke. Laga 16, Jura Prophecy, Ardbeg Corry. Stellar whiskies. Still, I'm not loving the Prophecy yet. It has some slightly bizarre note that I'm not completely comfortable with yet. Milk chocolate or something as opposed to dark chocolate in the Corry. Definitely a good whisky though.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

Also ordered a bottle of Redbreast 12 (31 €), Caol Ila 12 (23.80 €), Highland Park 12 (22.40 €).

So many great offers currently (30% voucher). Still contemplating on whether I should also order a bottle of Caribbean Cask (31.50 €). I think I will. And maybe a bottle of Laphroaig 10 (20.30 €), Cragganmore 12 (20.40 €), Talisker 10 (20.30 €), Laga 16 (35 €), Oban 14 (24.50 €), ... sigh.

I'll decide over a dram of Nikka FTB.

Edit: Ordered all of them. Too tempting.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  14. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Has Yamasaki 18 always been over $300?

15. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Hell no. When I was first getting into single malts in 2008 or so it was $110 around here.

16. alexg

alexg Senior member

A bartender from near me went to Japan recently and got tours of all the Japanese distilleries, and his takeaway was that there's currently no stock of aged whiskey there. Apparently they sold it all due to the demand.

1 person likes this.
  17. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It went completely through the roof last year because the Yamazaki Sherry Cask was named Whiskey of the Year.

The 12 and 18 had been sitting around on the shelf at my local stores all year, then they disappeared (along with every other Japanese malt) within weeks of the award being given. Now they're back with 50% price increases.

1 person likes this.
  18. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Just got these in the mail. One of my favs

[​IMG]

19. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Just sipping some Laphroaig PX Cask now.

I know it's a fairly high-volume, boring duty-free-store choice, but I think it holds up really well - more to my taste than either Laphroaig Quarter Cask or Lagavulin 16yo (which I partook of last night).

I suspect Laga 16 might be the true connoisseur's choice from this selection. Probably my Everyman's palate is influenced by a love of wine and Cognac. For me, the sherry notes of PX really lend something extra to Laphroaig's signature peat.

20. brp2

brp2 Senior member

All, quick question. I've got a friend who's currently in Japan. While I know the whiskies I'd like to ask her to look for, I'm wondering if anyone here has a good idea of what's: (a) going to be the best relative value vs buying in the U.S.; or (b) good and easy to find in Japan, but tough to source here. Thanks for any input.