1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

I had the Perpetuum and found it very similar to Ardbeg 10, but lighter and fresher. I enjoy the 10, but prefer the perpetuum.

2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Just getting into this - did a lot of reading through here (very useful) and some other sources before taking a jump (not tasting first) picking up a Balvenie Doublewood and Talisker 10. Won't take this approach again going forward but extremely happy with both. Obviously quite different and enjoyable in their own ways. See myself leaning more to the Talisker yet no question to me that the Balvenie is excellent and I am reaching for that more in the warm weather. Any recommendations for next bottle? There is a pretty good deal on Lagavulin 16 near me but perhaps too soon?

3. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Laga 16 is good. I dont think you'll find it too strong. Other brands "similar" to Talisker would be Bowmore, Craggenmore, and Clynlish... but none of thos have that pepper that Talisker has.

Balvenie is always a solid choice. Its what I usually recommend to new drinkers.

Highland Park can be hit or miss with pricing and flavors, but I do like the hint of smoke that is in them

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  4. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

Have people tried Glenrothes Select Reserve?

5. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I find much of the Glenrothes rather unspectacular but no, havent tried that one.

6. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Thanks for this. Am leaning toward HP 12 and Laga 16 next. For sake of comparison, may also pick up some JW Green and Hakushu 12. Not all at once…

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

+1 to HP 12 or I'd say try something more sherried like (I could be off on these) Auchentoshen, Macallen 10/12, and Aberlour A'bunadh, maybe even some Glenfarclas

8. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Ok, wound up snagging a bottle of A'bunadh. Good god.

1 person likes this.
  9. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Dont forget to add water. Cask strength ones are fun cause you can add water to bring it to your liking.

1 person likes this.
  10. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

I'd purchase something you couldn't easily get at a restaurant. Laga is usually available, so something a bit more rare might be interesting.

11. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Tried it straight up. Challenging but superb. Have since diluted slightly - probably to 50 or 52%. Just wonderful.

Noted. Do want the Laga because I have a good feeling, but also planning on a Hakushu 12 and then maybe something a little more rare,as you say, or maybe just pricier.

Having given Talisker 10 a rest for a few days, I came back to it last night and it tasted so much smokier and peatier than it ever had before. The contrast with the Balvenie and Aberlour made those flavors jump out at me far more than they ever did before. Woke up with a vague ashtray flavor in my mouth. But, um, in a good way? I think.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  12. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Well so patience is not my virtue here. Picked up the Hakushu 12 and a 200 ml bottle of Talisker 18 (at a good price too).

I like the Hakushu but it may take me a little time and thought to appreciate it. More subtle and nuanced than anything I've had thus far (which, given that everything has either had peat or sherry, should not be a shock). Very pleasant and different though I cannot say it blows my mind. I do look forward to more tastings.

The Talisker 18 is just extraordinary stuff. Could drink endlessly.

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Talisker 18 is solid.

1 person likes this.
  14. cchen

cchen Senior member

Try Hakushu 18. Will blow your mind.

15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

I believe you but it's something like $250 where I am. That jump for an 18 year from a 12 (I paid $80) hurts.

Next on the list: Laga 16 and a set of 200 ml Johnnie Walkers (black, gold, platinum, blue). Place near me has that for $70 -- seems worth it at that price.

16. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

If you are looking for another good drinking beginner try Tomatin 12. It can usually be had for quite cheap and its actually pretty good. No peat, more of a fruity one. Its also good in summer because it is on the lighter side.

17. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

How's platinum? That's the one I've always wanted to try cuz it was supposed to be the successor to the previous gold

18. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Cool. Really appreciate the recommendation.

Haven't picked it up yet but will report in soon. Think it's time to try some blends. Sure, I've had JW Black before but well before I had any real interest in, or knowledge of, Scotch. No real memory of it other than that it was drinkable if possibly not all that enjoyable to my palate at that point.

Recently tried the following:

Laga 16: Alright, I get why everybody* loves this.

Bunnahabhain 12: Nothing particularly noteworthy to me. Ok but I'm not sold.

Ledaig 10: Really impressed by this given its age and value. Such a great floral aroma and notes of vanilla, peat, nuts, honey…

* Not everybody.

19. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Oh, is JW Gold gone now? I didn't realize.

Is Nikka 12 'Taketsuru' on the chopping block also?

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was at a charity function Tuesday night and they only had glenlivet 18 or J&B. I got the 18. Meh, for $22 it didn't impress me.